Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

cv shafts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
mav06 is on a distinguished road
Default cv shafts

So after work today i was going to replace my front passanger side hub since it was bad. Well i got down there started tearing things apart and i noticed like a greenish greese every were, so i determined it was from my CV joint boot. Why would it do that? just worn out? i then looked at the other side and it has a little of the same problem, sprayed in a circular pattern. They were fine just a whille ago can they just all of a sudden go out? Could this be caused after i did a tbar crank? I did 3 turns on one side and 2 on the other tried evening them out some. Any ideas i am assuming they need to be replaced here soon? any advice? do i have to take off the steering knuckle to get the cv joints out? thanks for the help and oh i have a 2000 4x4 obvisly lol.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 PM

*bump*

Old 10-09-2009, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I did my cvs a while back (at a friend's shop so i could use thier lift and air tools). Im a total noob when it comes to cars, so forgive me if i call something by a stupid name. Also I'm not dumbing any of it down, I just explaining it the way I remember it (at a 2nd grade level) So enjoy:

1) Lift truck and pull wheels
2) Remove the bolt guy that lives in the middle of wheel
3) Undo the bolts holding the brake assembly (rotor and callipers) in place and hang it from the vehicle (use something as simple as a wire hanger) so as to not damage the brake lines.
4) What ever the hell the brakes bolt onto needs to be lossen up enough that you can shove the CV back through it and swing it to one side.
5) Give it a yank, and the CV pops free (use a drip pan to catch the gear oil that will beguin to pour out)
6) Stuff the new on in (make sure its for the correct side and go easy on the boot so as to not negate the work so far) and bolt up everything in reverse order
7) Lather. Rise. Repeat for other side.

I know i sound like a real a-hole as I have little to no idea wtf half those parts are called, but its a fairly straight forward and easy job (with a lift and air tools) that even a chump like me could do with little to no adult supervision (hardest part was learning how to operate the lift)

Also the CVs fit kind of tight, nothing major, just take a bit of work to manipulate them in with out loosening/removing everything under there.

Bonus: I dint screw with any steering knuckles (that I know of). *shrug*

Last edited by ABN31B; 10-09-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: I spell like a second grader too!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Well its a success, i changed the cv shafts, but i did have to pull the steering knuckle and i also replaced upper and lower ball joints. Thanks for the help and advice.

Matt

Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it was a success. if I had any idea WTF a steering knuckle looked like I might have been more help

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 PM

LOL, its the part were the tire hooks to and it has the rotor, brakes and Hub, then all that connects to the upper and lower ball joints that connects to the control arms. Does that help?

Matt

Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bring up a older thread but just because you found the grease you determined the cvs were bad? I just checked mine today and it was the same way.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Well this is what the forum is for learning from others mistakes lol, So since you seen the grease everywhere it does not mean that the c/v joint is bad. All it did was the boot slipped off one lip of the shaft. What you might be able to do instead of spending at least 70 per halfshaft is go to a hardware store and get a hose clamp and get some grease repack them and put it all backtogether. But if the joint is poping and making noise when you turn and what not then it would be best to go ahead and replace the Shaft. but remember you need to go get some new greese and repack the joint if you put hose clamps on the boot. Hope this helps. Heres a link of someone with the same problem.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/cv-axle-death-t-crank-35874/

Old 12-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

No popping yet. I will check into it. Appreciate it sir. I have to drive it all next week before I can even look at it.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Ok just be careful when your driving and make sure they don't get dry because they can go out on ya then you will have to get new ones.

Matt

Quick Reply: cv shafts