Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV Or Transfer Case Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
jorge1 is on a distinguished road
Default CV Or Transfer Case Noise?

Hi since iv gotton the truck a year ago Iv always had a roaring noise up front. Iv changed the hubs thinking that was the source but it wasnt. Its coming from where the transfer case is. I dont use the 4x4 but i have tried it to see if it works and it works fine. Does the t-case need fluid diffrent from the trans? How do i check it and fill it & what type of fluid?Or are my cv need replacing?

Is it possiable to just remove the cv's and use the truck this way i dont need the 4x4.one it will save me $ not buying parts i wont need. Thanks

98 blazer LS 4dr 4x4

Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
mike0912 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean the front differential? Thats what the CVs come out of, not the transfer case. When the CV's go bad, you will see green grease splattered in a huge circle on the parts surrounding it. The transfer case takes transmission fluid but the differential,(where the CV's are) takes gear oil. The diff. might be low on gear oil. There is a plug on the TOP of the diff. towards the front of the vehicle. You should be able to feel gear oil if you dip your finger where the plug was. No, you can not drive it without the CV's, it has been posted on here that you will blow the front diff. if you do. I'd drain the front diff and put fresh oil in it...cheap and easy.
The transfer case is towards the left side of the undercarriage behind the drivers door.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Sorry The front is what am talking about. The boots are riped on both cv's and there is no grease in the boots this is how the truck was given to me.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Replace the CV shafts and that just might fix your problem.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
mike0912 is an unknown quantity at this point

If its been that way since you got it, its a good thing your axles didnt break, rather surprising they didnt! Too bad you didnt pull the axles when you did the hubs, 3/4 of the work was already done. If you are gonna replace the axles, I'd look at your ball joints at the same time and see if they need to be replaced. You will have to seperate at least one of them to get the axles out so it would be worth your while to replace them at the same time. You will need to get an alignment if you do the ball joints. I just did all that work on my 99 LT a few months ago.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member
ebristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jorge1
Thanks
Did replacing the CV shaft help your problem?

The roaring sound that I am getting my truck is definably NOT coming from the axles.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 AM

I went to take it to replace the cv and thats not where the roaring is coming from its from the front differential wich i he said cost maybe around 2000$ installed more then what the truck is worth he said two things keep driving it like this and it will get loader and loader till she wont move any more or sell it or trade it in for a new car. Ever since i got this truck something always came up that broke so i trade it in.
Thanks for everones help when i was i need.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A noise from the front axle could be caused by a partially engaged front axle engagement collar.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member
ebristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
A noise from the front axle could be caused by a partially engaged front axle engagement collar.
I will search that and see what I can find.

I am still have this noise problem on my Bravada. I believe the noise is coming from the differencial but I don't think replacing the differential will fix the problem.

It appears that the transfer case is stuck in awd. So the front diff is always engaged which caused it to fail prematurely.

Are there any other points along the drivetrain that would cause the transfer case to always transfer power to the front wheels? Or is that how this smart track system was designed? To always power the front a rear wheels.

Back to the search feature!

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The Bravada does not have one of those huh?

Quick Reply: CV Or Transfer Case Noise?