Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

The Death Wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Jordan Baxter is on a distinguished road
Default The Death Wobble!

I have a 1988 chevy blazer full size. And I have a big problem. It has the death wobble. I temporarily solved the problem by buying new rims and tires and had them mounted and balanced. Just about a week ago it came back. I looked under the hood while someone turned the steering wheel to see maybe if it was the steering box, then took a look at the drive shaft and it seemed okay, then took a peek at the tie rod and still found nothing loose or falling apart. I need help solving this issue. It seems to be getting worse but that could also just be me.

Thanks,

Jordan Baxter

Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check the frame for cracks where the steering gear box connects.

Also, it probably would not be a bad idea to replace the tie rod ends both on the drag link and on the tie bar between the two wheels.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks, I'll look for any cracks and see if I find any. And about how much should it cost me to purchase new tie rod ends, and a tie bar?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It will basically be 4 tie rod ends. It shouldn't be too terribly expensive, but do not get the bargain basement priced tie rod ends.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Haha thanks. I will definitely do that

Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck did this when my cv shafts were SUPER toast.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Solid axle K5 == no CV shafts.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry, didn't realize it was a k5.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM

No cracks in the frame. But also thought that maybe the bearings maybe worn and need some replacing too. The guy that had it before me didn't take much care of it. Oil was black. Transmission oil smelled burnt, and both filters were so dirty I had about 1/8 of an inch of dirt, metal and other random crap on them. So this guy probably had the same problem but neglected to tell me as I handed over the cash. What about the actually truck part of the tires being out of alignment? Not the tire itself but the part of the truck it attaches to?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

how big of tires do you have on it? i used to run 38s on 1/2 tons for a while and when the tires started to get old they used to shake the truck so bad you couldnt drive it. i first started by getting the tires balanced. that fixed it about 20%, next went and bought a dual shock steering stabilizer. that fixed it another 60% so now it was barely there. i later went to 1 ton axles and it came back again.

i eventually just fixed the problem by getting some radials.

check your steering stabalizer and check all your other steering stuff too. jack a front tire up and push and pull on it side to side and see if anything moves.

Quick Reply: The Death Wobble!