Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Deleting 4x4. deleting front axle help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:14 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default Deleting 4x4. deleting front axle help.

Alright. 91 s10 blazer,4.3 tbi.4x4.

It wont work(wont engage) half the time and honestly i dont use the 4x4 in it since its mainly my get around town and to work truck. I want to lighten it up some and open up some space under it to make working on it easier. I was told I can pull out the front axle,and just leave the hub ends of the cv shafts on so the tires dont fall off. is that true? If so is it as easy as unbolts the front driveshaft,cv shafts etc and yanking it out? then reinstall the cv ends back into the hub and roll with it? thanks

Old 09-27-2010, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Pretty much. I wouldn't even pull out those cv ends if you can cut them where they stand sometimes they are a pain to get out. If you for sure never want the 4x4 just cut all the brackets

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I just took my cv's out when they were broken and drove around like that until I got some cash to buy new ones

Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member
stantheman is on a distinguished road

If you do make sure you put the ends back in the hub bearings so they dont split on ya. I would just gut the end and clean it and throw them back in.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

i am also considering removing all my 4 wheel drive parts too since i have no use for it...it also wastes extra gas because of the extra weight....has anyone ever removed everything and put in a 2wd tranny it before?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

How exactly do I get the outer cv shafts separated from the rest of the shaft? Id like to avoid removing the bazillion bolts where the cv bolts to the axle,they are rusty and i dont have any air tools and id love to do it without removing the tires,hub etc unless i have too. thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by chris015
How exactly do I get the outer cv shafts separated from the rest of the shaft? Id like to avoid removing the bazillion bolts where the cv bolts to the axle,they are rusty and i dont have any air tools and id love to do it without removing the tires,hub etc unless i have too. thanks
a torch would work lovely or a big cut off wheel

i keep hearing mixed opinions about having to leave the cv joints in there or take them off. when i was younger my gf's sister had a truck like that, where they just took out the cv joints and it was fine. other people say itll fall apart.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

The bearings will fail quicker without something holding them together. Thats the way they were designed. You can pull the boot off, and remove the axle from the part attached to your hub.
One of my axles is apart. ill take a pic of what i mean tomorrow for you.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran

one thing that makes me kinda weary about it too is i put a new bearing on a front wheel drive mini van up on the rack. with the cv joint out i decided to put the tire on for added leverage to turn the wheel so i could put the caliper on the bearing just came apart with me pulling on it and i almost fell on my butt.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Logan
The bearings will fail quicker without something holding them together. Thats the way they were designed. You can pull the boot off, and remove the axle from the part attached to your hub.
One of my axles is apart. ill take a pic of what i mean tomorrow for you.
Any chance on that picture?

I took a closer look at the axle today. How do i get that bolt out on driver side,thats up behind the control arm? It looked to be a pita

Quick Reply: Deleting 4x4. deleting front axle help.