Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Different heights on front w/w !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 AM
toyfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Different heights on front w/w !!!

ok, i jut measured the height of my wheel wells and found that the d/s is 32 1/2 and the p/s is 31 1/2. i noticed that the torsion bolts are set diff as well. is this normal ?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Different heights on front w/w !!!

Somewhat normal as these trucks age. Seems the passenger side torsion bars like to sag. If you want to bring the passenger side up, but run out of adjustment, you may have to look at getting new torsion bars ($$$).

Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 AM

i was pondering a small lift...2 inch at the most. and saw that the d/s bolt head was flush with the cross member and the p/s bolt was sticking out. kinda makes me think that some previous owner messed with it for alignment or to level it out due to a huge driver ect.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the passenger side is sticking out a bit, then give it a few turns with a ratchet. The closer to being bottomed out, the higher it'll go.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM

will being of diff heights screw with the alignment?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM

the firestone place keeps telling me i need ball joints. i checked and dont see any slop but i found there was steering slop which i adj. on the gear box

Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

It's been my experience that just about every quick lube/ speed tire place says that balljoints/pitman arm/idler arm are bad, and they can't align until replaced. Each time I've had my trusty mechanic (one time the dealer) verify, and they were fine.

Not saying that you have no need for new balljoints, but definitely get a second opinion, and definitely price shop Balljoints can get pricey...

As for your torsion bolts...I've heard a couple aligment shops/techs mention that when doing an alignment they will often adjust the bolts to get it to sit level before alignment.. So it's not always an indication of a previous owner cranking it up for lift