Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Does the ZR2 torsion bar swap require new keys

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020 | 08:20 PM
|
Starting Member
Americannoli is on a distinguished road
Default Does the ZR2 torsion bar swap require new keys

I picked up some ZR2 torsion bars which are noticeably thicker. I plan to crank my torsion bars to add between 1 and 1.5 inches on the front to go with my 2inch shackles in the back. Will new keys for these bars be required to continue the crank normally? <1996 Chevy Blazer 4WD>

Old 07-28-2020 | 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

So you'll have stock high, just a different spring rate... I believe...

If you want the height, you'll need lift keys. At that point it's better to get the upper control arms and a diff drop for the front end components to live longer lives.

edit: I'm not sure if the stiffer bars will help with front end life. But you will end up with the same height as stock bars.

Old 07-28-2020 | 09:42 PM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by DonL
So you'll have stock high, just a different spring rate... I believe...

If you want the height, you'll need lift keys. At that point it's better to get the upper control arms and a diff drop for the front end components to live longer lives.

edit: I'm not sure if the stiffer bars will help with front end life. But you will end up with the same height as stock bars.
I was just reading all the torsion lift guides and they say the stock keys work fine and there's no need to replace them. So I was wondering if the bigger ZR2 bars would require different keys or if the originals would work fine?

Old 07-29-2020 | 05:52 AM
BF Veteran

They will work fine

Old 07-31-2020 | 11:50 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I'll second DonL on this. Your original torsion keys will work fine with the ZR2 bars. There were a few different angles of factory torsion keys (they had a paint dot on them to show which part number) and interestingly enough most ZR2s came with less aggressive keys, but heavier torsion bars. So you'll be better off keeping your factory keys if you are looking to be aggressive with lifting the front end.

FYI, with the heavier ZR2 torsion bars you'll get more lift with less cranking on the keys, so don't crank them to the max when you install them. Start lower, and adjust upward while checking your suspension geometry. You'll also need to do an alignment when you're done.

I personally think the trucks ride much nicer (firm like a truck) with the heavier torsion bars. I found the factory premium smooth ride on my Blazer to be too soft.

Old 07-31-2020 | 07:14 PM
BF Veteran

Man... I'm glad you came along lol... because I've been guessing at this stuff and didnt really look into it. But after reading your comments, I wish I did... even more wish I did before getting rid of my parts truck.....

Old 08-01-2020 | 10:34 PM
|
Starting Member

Man... I'm glad you came along lol... because I've been guessing at this stuff and didnt really look into it. But after reading your comments, I wish I did... even more wish I did before getting rid of my parts truck.....
What parts you looking for? I might have some I'd be willing to give up for free man

Old 08-02-2020 | 12:57 PM
BF Veteran

Only parts I need now, or would get, would be the torsion bars.

Old 08-02-2020 | 04:30 PM
|
Starting Member

Only parts I need now, or would get, would be the torsion bars.
There's a bunch of different ZR2 torsion bar numbers. I've got an extra left front one which ends in the code "509" which makes it the second to the thickest one. If your having issues finding them I'd give it up for free. You would still have to find the right front bar with the code ending in "510" so that they match.

Old 08-02-2020 | 06:11 PM
BF Veteran

Will look into it. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Does the ZR2 torsion bar swap require new keys