Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

drive axle nut

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
VonBerry is on a distinguished road
Angry drive axle nut

hey everyone i am working on replacing the hub wheel bearing assembly in my blazer but the issue im having is getting the drive axle nut. we have tried just about everything imaginable, we used a breaker bar to the put where it broke the ratchet head, we headed it up to the point it was red, we tried using an air ratchet and spinning it both ways, and we tried using a compressor that got up to 150psi and not even a budge. does ANYONE have any suggestions on what we can do. i have watched you tube videos on how to do it and they all made it look like a 10 year old could do it so please dont recommend one to me. thanks

Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I've heard of others having a tough time with these but not to this point. Mine came off very easy using an impact wrench. Being as that was what I was going to suggest and you've already tried it, soak it with PB Blaster for a few hours, use a breaker bar with about a 10 foot cheater bar and a couple of buddies jumping on the breaker bar.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM

ya i pretty much tried that and when we did the breaker bar broke

Old 10-09-2010, 06:42 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Use a 1/2" ratchet and a cheater pipe. Also make sure the wheel and tire is on and the parking brake is set. Once you break it loose you can remove the wheel and tire. This will keep the cv shaft from trying to wind up and tearing up stuff in the front diff. Also the PB Blaster works wonders.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:43 PM

lol again we tried that, the breaker bar we used that broke was a 1/2"

Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

As a last ditch effort just replace the hub and the cv axle assembly. You can disassemble the outer joint and just leave everything in the hub and throw it all away. A replacement axle assemble new at the zone is like 60$ and don't require you to give them any core back. It may be worth it to just give up on it and destroy the old cv axle and replace it and the hub. Just my 2c that you might as well do the ball joints while you got it that tore apart since its pretty easy to do when your already in that deep.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thick cold chisel and a 2.5lb sledge, it will come off. Had the EXACT same problem on my friends eagle talon a few weeks ago, heated it up with a torch, broke a torque bar using a cheater pipe, small air compressor wouldn't budge it. Cold chisel and a BFH it was off in 5 minutes.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 AM

well replacing the cv axles does seem like a last resort so thats a good idea cause the cv axles are cheap and i have a feeling my ball joints are shot too. the only bad thing is im ganna have to do this on both sides. the sledge hammer is something i havent tried mainly because i have a horrible aim :X

Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

On top of all of that many times when changing ball joints or hubs the disturbance of the CV joints causes them to go bad too. So after all your work you simply have to just turn around and do it all over again to get the CV axle out.

I understand nobody wants to spend $ that they don't have to. But i like to do things once and be done with it for awhile. So when i did mine i changed the hub,CV axle and both ball joints on each side. No problems for awhile i hope.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

do you have access to a 3/4 impact gun?
or a good(snap on or mac) air hammer with a chisel bit?

Quick Reply: drive axle nut