Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Drive line question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

I found a little seam in the middle of both tires. That's what I went off of. Got the tires straightened out, now the steering rod isn't long enough to attach to the pitman arm and I don't have any end wrenches or crescent wrench big enough to adjust the hyme joints. FML!!

Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Starting Member

now the front measurement is 62, rear is 62 1/8. much better.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Starting Member

Took it for a drive. Still doesn't feel right. Then again, it may be because I'm used to it the way it was with the solid crossmember. The rear shackles on the solid crossmember couldn't really move, the ones I have now are able to flex, somewhat freely. I just need to get longer leaf springs before I do anymore adjusting. HOPEFULLY that'll come soon.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

it looks like the front has gotten higher since you put the crossmember in? maybe you have too much caster now?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Starting Member

I took the crossmember out. And It may have some positive caster. I have 2 degree shims in the front. They were pointing with the skinny side toward the back when I got it, then we did mounted the axle under the leaf springs, spaced it out and put the shims with the skinny part facing forward, well, when I took the crossmember out, we put em back how they were, with the skinny part facing back. I'm beginning to think there are too many variables right now to rule out any 1 thing. I need to get longer front leaf springs, make sure things are OK there, then figure out what's going on. If you want to text me to help, Diaita, I can give you my cell number.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Starting Member

Went and worked on my "donor" Jeep. Didn't get near as far as I had hoped. But, things are looking good. I'll get the front and rear axles and everything attached to them, the front and rear drive line and POSSIBLY the transfer case for nothing. The guy wants to gut this thing and let the junk yard have just the shell. He said for helping him, I could have that stuff. So, looks like I'll be going from a leaf sprung front end to a coil sprung front end. I'll get the 4 link, tie rod, everything.
I think what I'm going to do is put everything in storage, get an Astro steering box, and I saw a bracket that bolts to the steering knuckle to flatten the angle of the tie rod. I'll stockpile parts over the winter and come spring time, do work!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by whyteb0y
Thanks for the numbers. If we get done with dinner soon enough tomorrow, I may tackle it then. I haven't really driven my Blazer in almost 2 weeks because of this. The weather has been crap and my back has been bugging me. So, now that I feel well enough to do something, it's time to do work.

The weather thing and back pain were walkin in the same pair of shoes.Went to work on my rif today garage was ice cold toes were frozen in about 1/2 hour.Back was realy giving some bad sharp pains.I havent been able to much the last few days cause of it.On a related thread I hate trying to realign the front end after you have replaced parts.I just pay the cash let the shop do it for me.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

a hi-steer arm is the bracket you are talking about. im pretty sure they cant be attached to a jeep axle though. try to measure up the geometry on the chassis of the jeep as well so you can duplicate it when you get to that.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Starting Member

I'll see what I can do. I don't know if the leaf springs on the Jeep are going to work, they're the correct length, but they're flat. So, it looks like my Blazer will sit all winter since I don't have all the parts to get the job done. That and it just started snowing today and I don't have a garage or shop to work on it in.