Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Driving weird in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving weird in 4WD

I put it in 4x4 last night for the first time (besides my test drive)-I was spinning out and fishtailing all over the place (freezing rain)before that. Anyway, when I got to the grocery store and went to park, making a sharp turn, it acted like I was driving over boulders or something. It was fine with the normal driving, this only happened with the sharp turns into and out of parking spots. It was like it was off balance and bouncing-the weirdest thing. Doesn't that sound like something bent? It was in an accident on the right front.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Tittlebitties is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Driving weird in 4WD

I forgot why this happends but its not a problem or anything. It just has to do with having 4 wheels going.

I am sure someone here can go into more detail on why.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Normal operation. The transfer locks the front and rear axles forcing one wheel on each axle to turnthe same speeds. While doing short radius turns as in a parking lot, you will get that rocky feeling as one wheel slips to try to keep speed with the other. Your best bet would be to disengage the 4wd for parking maneuvers.

**EDIT - editted per Hanr3's excellent explaination in another thread.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

i would only use 4wd when it is slippery enough that the front tires can slip to avoid that binding.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh thank God!! I will disengage the 4wd before I get to a parking space next time. I thought for sure something was wrong!!!Thank you guys!

Old 11-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

We had taken my old '97 Ram to a hockey game in Rochester last winter and it was snowing like crazy on the way there. Got into the parking garage and never really had to make any sharp turns until we found a spot. I almost smacked the next car in line because I forgot that I still had it in 4wd. The front end was jumping all over the place. Ofcourse, that thing had some pretty big tires on it as well, which contributes to the 'jump-y-ness' (it's a technical term)! LOL>

Old 11-18-2005, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont use 4wdr on dry roads. It cuases the drivetrain to bind up, even on straight roads it will bind up, just takes longer. Ask my wife, takes her about 40 minutes.

The fix. Put it back into 2wdr and go backwards, or drive over a spillery surface like ice, snow, dirt, pebbles, grass, etc.

If you let the binding go too long you will break something.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

ok so when you say dry roads....as in paved roads??? cause sometimes dirt roads are wet..but not like wet...and they are slippery...so I kick it into 4 wheel drive so I don't spin my *** out on the corners...(I tend to think I am in nascar) is that a way to kill the 4wd??? otherwise I only use it when my back end it slipping aorund like in slushy weather..or when there is a mountain of snow in my drive way to crawl over....and when you say "bind up" does it stop moving? how do you tell?? (full of questions I know)

|||

Old 11-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Dry roads as in, regular driving conditions on a nice sunny day.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:25 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

When I tow my boat I always put it in 4wd and 3rd gear nomatter what condition the weather is in. If not you can blow your tranny pulling or towing. I have never heard that you can mess up your truck up just driving 4wd in normal conditions. Does anybody know more on that?

Quick Reply: Driving weird in 4WD