Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Dropping a 99 4x4 Blazer WITH REMOVED FRONT DRIVESHAFT

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Beginning Member
ChromeJerome is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Dropping a 99 4x4 Blazer WITH REMOVED FRONT DRIVESHAFT

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4D LS 4x4 that is currently dropped 2" all around, using pinion angled blocks on the rear leaf springs, and dropped in the front by removing the 4wd driveshaft. So essentially, it is a 2wd blazer. I was wanting to know if now I could take the same approach as people with 2wd blazers, or are there still restrictions on how I can go about dropping it further since it used to be a 4wd? I'm looking to drop it 2-3 more inches (4-5 total) all around, any tips/ideas on how I could do this? Not looking to buy cheap $20 lowering springs off of ebay or anything, I know I will sacrifice some ride quality, but I want to do it right. Also, should I look into stiffer shocks to prevent rubbing or scraping when going over bumps?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member

*Bump

Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

I think the control arms mount lower on a 4wd so you are limited to , my guess, 3 inch inthe front . If you get more than 3 inthe back you have to take one bulb off the bumper. 4inch and you are getting close to notch requirement. Be careful in the back with the brake line, it needs to be looped out away from the frame.
Dont pay too much attention to the lowered 4x4 haters. Unless they pay your vehicle registration

Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You can lower the front using the T-bars. You can't use lowering springs in the front because a 4x4 Blazer doesn't use coil springs. You'll just be doing the reverse of a T-bar lift. You want to turn the T-bar bolts further out. Check the front control arms and leave yourself at least a little room before they hit the bump stops. Lowering it you'll likely end up with having very limited upward travel as the control arms will hit the bump stops much sooner. As with any time you change the front end geometry you'll need to get a wheel alignment so you don't end up chewing through your tires. If you need more info about adjusting your torsion bars a quick search will give you tons of info. I know there's a how-to in the lifting tech section, and may be one in the lowering section too. I'm personally not interested in lowering so I haven't checked there.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help and input guys, not just gonna say it's easier to do a 2wd and go the route everyone goes, gotta be different sometime.