Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Entire Body Leans to the Left. Add Helper Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 PM
tyson0016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entire Body Leans to the Left. Add Helper Springs?

'99 S10 Blazer. 4-door, 2WD.

I think this might be the result of my sliding off the road on ice a couple years ago...
The whole body is leaning towards the driver side. I measured the tire's clearance in the wheel wells and there's about 4 inches less clearance on the driver side. I'm not sure but I think maybe the leaf springs are just bent. (I slid into a dirt bank at about 50mph going backward... don't ask) Should I replace the springs or can I just add some helper springs or something?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Entire Body Leans to the Left. Add Helper Springs?

4" is huge. I'm betting that you have a broken spring in the spring pack. I would replace the springs on both sides just to get them even. If you were to find a used spring at a junkyard or eBay, you could replace just one side, but anytime you deal with aftermarket replacement parts, it is best to replace in pairs just so you don't have a mis-match.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM

It's probably because of my bad springs, but despite having new tires and new shocks, if I hit a hard bump the wheels really bounce and send a lot of vibration. Would there be anything I could add on while I'm replacing springs that would improve the ride even more? I've heard a little about stabilizers and other things that claim to help. Are any of these worth the money?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These trucks don't ride all that bad with properly functioning leaf springs. Most of the add-on items are meant to help in carrying heavy loads. Without the load, some of the 'stabilizers' cause a harsh ride.

I'm betting that you are sitting on the bump stop on the affected side right now and that is why you have such a bad ride. Get that spring fixed ASAP as it is the only thing holding your rear axle to the chassis!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Well, are replacements usually hard to find? I've checked several places online and called the local parts stores with no luck. If I'm going to replace them, I'd prefer to get new ones. Any suggestions?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

I sure hope you arent driving around with it like that

Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 PM

Um, as a matter of fact, I've been driving it like this for a couple of years now but I'm pretty sure the springs were just bent in the beginning. Only a few weeks ago I noticed the ride getting more rough. It was due for new tires and shocks but after changing those, it's still pretty bad. Yes, I need to get this fixed soon.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point

right now i am trying to find some leafs for my blazer. i have a little bit of a sag and i really dont want to put add a leafs in. cheapest i have found is something like 115 per side. jcwhitney sells them but they are trailer replacements.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Yeah I saw the ones at jcwhitney were trailer replacements. And what exactly does that mean? For pulling a trailer or for the trailer itself?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have no idea. or i would have ordered them for 35 a piece. i have yet to email them. I also emailed a company that does custom and oem leafs. and here is another site with specs and prices. http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_...-2000_s10.html

Quick Reply: Entire Body Leans to the Left. Add Helper Springs?