Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

front diff shaft question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default front diff shaft question.

i am looking to replace the seal on the end of the front shaft leading to the cv axle at the wheel.
i was also going to replace that bearing while i was at it.
what is the proper name for that bearing??
i have called several stores and have gotten several diff names...go figure.
so now i dont know what i am looking for name wise.

i was looking at rock auto and found this. \/ \/ \/ \/

also, which one of these would be it?

99 4x is the target vehicle....thanks guys.

also, any advice for getting the cv shaft off the splined shaft?
i know its on there good...when i did the lift i pulled the cv and splined together and then i had trouble with that washer at the diff end of the tube.

Attached Thumbnails front diff shaft question.-rockauto-bearings-copy.jpg  

Last edited by warthogdriver; 08-10-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Which side? The driver side bearing comes out from the inside if I remember correctly.

You can check Compnine.com's diagrams to find the name & OE part number for the appropriate bearing.

As far as releasing the CV shaft from the axle shaft, a block of wood & a 5lb hammer works quite well at this. Getting access can be a pain though.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

pass side is giving me troubles....
thanks for the site and the tip on the cv shaft.

is there a way to get it all back together if the spline shaft comes out and that washer slips...short of tearing apart? i doubt it but...mehhhh

edit***************

ok, spent sometime searching the net.
found this beauty....
it lists timken part equivalent for all bearings!!!!

http://www.who-sells-it.com/images/c.../pdf_21318.pdf

check it out.

and by the way my part is
ac delco 26053326

thanks again.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 08-10-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran

****bump********

ok, well i now have my parts and a plan ( i think)
what i am asking is, is there a way to do this without pulling the passenger axle tube?
i can do it, just looking for been there done that advice....or quick ways to do this.
seal looks like no problem....bearing i know spline shaft should be removed.
is there a way to keep that "thrust" washer in place or put it back up when the shaft should go back in?

when i did my lift i accidentally pulled the spline and cv shafts then thought "oh $h!t" when i couldnt get it back in then noticed that the "thrust" washer had fallen out of place. so i tore it all apart and crossed my fingers i did it right...i hate moments like that.

thanks guys.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are only replacing the outer bearing & seal, it can be done without pulling the extension tube. The problem is that space is quite limited with the extension axle in the middle of things.

As far as the plastic retaining ring goes (I think that's what you are calling a washer), it is there to hold the connection together. It fits into a groove inside the female spline of the CV shaft. You can get new ones fairly cheap from the dealer, I believe that original PN was 14041989; check with the parts counter for an updated reference.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran

thank you for the info. always appreciated.
i will post back after this weekend when i get the job done.

thanks again.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:02 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Wart,
Please try to get so pics, if you can so the rest of us con see whats happining
Thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran

can do on the pics....there isnt much i do without pics.
always glad to give back.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member
alpinesubs is on a distinguished road

I'm doing the same thing on my truck right now. I got the seal out easy put how did you get that bearing out without pulling the shaft? It seems to be in there pretty good........

Last edited by alpinesubs; 12-12-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
BF Veteran

i used a slide hammer....also did a small write up...

this should help a little

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...le-seal-62365/