Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front differential measurements (spider clearance)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021 | 10:18 PM
|
Beginning Member
woody80z28 is on a distinguished road
Default Front differential measurements (spider clearance)

I see there are a bunch of Team Green/Phantom Grip style LSD inserts on ebay for stupid cheap. I've been thinking about welding the front diff spiders for my offroader, but I'm a little worried about shock loading and breaking stuff out on a trail and not being able to get it back to the trailer easy. One of these cheap LSD inserts would function almost as good as a locker, but be a little more drivetrain friendly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-P...AAAOSw~iVgQx7A

Anyway, what I need are some measurements inside the differential. I need the clearance between the idler spiders and the driven spiders. There are a few of these universal ones available, so I'd like to pick the right one before I tear it all apart. Anyone have an extra front diff kicking around?

Old 03-10-2021 | 09:17 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I keep looking at that thing and I still don't understand how it's going to make any difference at all. I definitely wouldn't weld it because it will be pretty hard to steer but, if you can find a "real" lunchbox locker for it, and you don't drive it too hard, that may work. Check out Nitro lunchbox lockers. They're a little less expensive because they use the stock side gears. Keep in mind, with any front locker, your front driveshaft will spin all the time while you're driving, even in 2WD. Not that big of a deal, but something to consider.

*EDIT*
It looks like I was mistaken and most of the Nitro lockers actually do NOT use the stock gears. Therefore, they really aren't any less expensive. And I only see them for the rear, not the front.

Last edited by Tom A; 03-10-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2021 | 09:38 AM
|
Beginning Member

I read somewhere the lunchbox lockers for the 7.2 were all discontinued. Too pricey anyway for a gambler 500 piece of junk.

Some of my FWD buddies have used similar LSD inserts before. They work by using spring pressure to just jam the spiders into the carrier to resist rotation. They gall the carrier and the spiders because there are no clutches, but it's a gambler, so I don't care. 95% offroad use with very minimal street time. 100 miles maybe in the rest of its life.

I can just weld the spiders and go (manual front axle cable for tight 4wd turning and 2wd), but the "lsd" would reduce shock loading and make it live a bit longer and less risk of breaking and leaving me offroad with just the mini spool rwd.

Old 03-10-2021 | 10:01 AM
BF Veteran

Well, it's not like you'll be out a lot of time or money if it doesn't work. Might as well give it a shot.

Once upon a time, you could buy "square" spider gears that would function as a low-buck locker, but probably not for that application.

Old 03-10-2021 | 10:11 AM
|
Beginning Member

Oh absolutely, I'd just like to get the one that is closest to the measurements I need. I had to machine an 8.5 mini spool to fit the 8.6 carrier and it was a bear. Killed two carbide end mills doing it.

Tearing mine apart first just means more down time taking up the garage. Was hoping someone had a loose diff sitting around.

Old 03-10-2021 | 10:13 AM
BF Veteran

I think I actually took mine to the dump when I did my SAS. Otherwise, I'd be happy to measure it for you. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2021 | 10:21 AM
|
Beginning Member

SAS would be fun, but it's a rusty piece. Still fun though!
Name:  OYWSTBs.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  4.74 MB