Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front differential shift shaft leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member
dve330 is on a distinguished road
Default Front differential shift shaft leak

I just bought a 1999 Blazer (TrailBlazer model) with 4 button 4 wheel drive. After one night I had a puddle of gear oil under both the front and rear differentials. I fixed the rear by replacing diff cover. The front is more difficult. It looks like it's leaking from the shift shaft seal. Is it possible to replace the seal without completely removing the axel? Is there enough play in the suspension to move the tube out about a half inch to get the seal out? Maybe if I take the tire off and let the suspension all the way down?

Please help!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you snap a picture of where it is leaking from?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member
dve330 is on a distinguished road

Sorry my description was a bit off. What I thought was the actuator is actually just a plastic housing.

At the top of the picture is the front passenger side axel tube. At the bottom is the shift shift shaft cable housing. I think the leak is comming through the seal on the shift shaft. It's leaking quite a bit, I have to put a half a quart of oil in there every 3 or 4 days. According to the schematic that I have, the seal is pinched between the axel tube flange and the differential. How hard is this to fix? I only have access to basic hand tools and maybe an impact wrench.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Front differential shift shaft leak-sdc17794.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are sure that it is leaking between the passenger side extension housing and the differential housing, then you have to remove the passenger side CV shaft, support the diff housing, then unbolt the passenger side extension housing. It isn't particularly difficult, but can be time consuming.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Did you ever fix this? I have a leak from the SAME EXACT place and I have tried threadsealer on the bolts, a bit epoxy in the bolt hole where I thought it was coming from, and epoxy putty on the outside of the axle around where the leak is. I am having it checked out by a shop this week and I might have them fix it properly if they agree that is what it is. How hard is it?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Did you ever fix this? I have a leak from the SAME EXACT place and I have tried threadsealer on the bolts, a bit epoxy in the bolt hole where I thought it was coming from, and epoxy putty on the outside of the axle around where the leak is. I am having it checked out by a shop this week and I might have them fix it properly if they agree that is what it is. How hard is it?
i recently fixed mine that was leaking at this same point. it has held for two weeks so i will fill ya in...dont wanna share if it doesnt work.

pretty simple fix.

1. park on a hill with a slight slope so the pass side is higher then the diff.
2. loosen all bolts so you have 1/4" of play give take.
3. gently use a flat screwdriver or what ever you have handy and slide the shaft towards the pass side tire.
4. now wipe down surface with some cleaner/degreaser
5. apply rtv silicon seal. dont go crazy but put down a nice bead, it will be a bit sloppy so be careful you dont dump a ton in the housing. what i did was use my finger to apply it a little at a time.
6. let it set a couple minutes.
7. slowly push the housing back together.
8. apply some rtv to the threads of the bolts.
9. tighten down bolts. i did rotating pattern as to not over tighten. i dont recall the torque i used..it wasnt much though.
10. wipe down the excess.

all in all not to bad....just be patient and dont over use the silicon.

hope this helps ya out.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
i recently fixed mine that was leaking at this same point. it has held for two weeks so i will fill ya in...dont wanna share if it doesnt work.

pretty simple fix.

1. park on a hill with a slight slope so the pass side is higher then the diff.
2. loosen all bolts so you have 1/4" of play give take.
3. gently use a flat screwdriver or what ever you have handy and slide the shaft towards the pass side tire.
4. now wipe down surface with some cleaner/degreaser
5. apply rtv silicon seal. dont go crazy but put down a nice bead, it will be a bit sloppy so be careful you dont dump a ton in the housing. what i did was use my finger to apply it a little at a time.
6. let it set a couple minutes.
7. slowly push the housing back together.
8. apply some rtv to the threads of the bolts.
9. tighten down bolts. i did rotating pattern as to not over tighten. i dont recall the torque i used..it wasnt much though.
10. wipe down the excess.

all in all not to bad....just be patient and dont over use the silicon.

hope this helps ya out.
That's it? That simple? No ripping the axle apart? Or removing it from the vehicle? Wow.

I am going to print this and ask the shop if they can fix it this way when I have it there for the other stuff.

Is that how to fix it properly? Is there normally a seal there that the axle has to be removed to fix it properly? Just don't want a surprise if they don't want to do it that way.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

as far as "proper" i dont know...."works" that covers it for me.
i couldnt find a gasket for this area...only other idea is to get some "paper" gasket making kit, i didnt think that would be best.

here she is ....two weeks dry. like i said worked for me....

I AM NOT CERTIFIED....only certifiable....

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
as far as "proper" i dont know...."works" that covers it for me.
i couldnt find a gasket for this area...only other idea is to get some "paper" gasket making kit, i didnt think that would be best.

here she is ....two weeks dry. like i said worked for me....

I AM NOT CERTIFIED....only certifiable....
Ok. Great. That is probably the procedure the mechanic will want to use anyway then. Why would it fail unless the RTV isn't intended for oil? I was looking to get black RTV that has max oil resistance for this.

Did you have to drain the differential completely to make that repair?

You aren't certifiable. You are a genius.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 AM
BF Veteran

no i didnt drain the dif. parking on the slope fixes that issue.
just check your level when done. you will lose a little but not to bad.

Quick Reply: Front differential shift shaft leak