Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
blaze 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default front end

can you or has any one know if you can put a dana straight axel in the front if so how hard and whats involved in it?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: front end

If youre even asking that question, you should probably look into other options for lifting..

Old 02-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member

i take that no one has done the dana strait axel swap then i think its a great idea i personally dont like ifs but if anyone has any suggestions let me know

Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have specific questions? What tools do you have at your disposal for such an undertaking?

I can give you the broad strokes. Lets say that you find an axle that has the proper overall width so you do not have to narrow it. You will have to measure the frame so you can determine how far apart to weld on the spring perches. From there, you need to determine what length of front spring you are going to be using. After that, you have to fabricate your spring mounts to the frame. There really is nothing special about it, but your modifications have to be strong. I would run with a shackle in the front so that when your suspension flexes, it will keep proper pinion alignment with the front end.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Youre right...youre the only person to ever consider using a Dana axle in a solid front axle swap on a Blazer.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Beginning Member

thank you very much for the info would leafs be a good idea or coils let me know what your thaught is thanks again

Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The process I detailed was a leaf spring setup due to the ease of installation as compared with a 4-link setup and coil springs. A 4-link setup takes an experienced approach to get everything so that it performs well and also is safe.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member

thanx for the info i wanted leafs any way i was told that a jeep cherokee would work as long as the gear ratio was the same was he rite on saying that

Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Monsta/man is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of the straight front.. Ive been wanting to do it since i was 17 I'm 25 now and getting started (gathering information) the only thing I'm trying to figure out is what would be a good axle match up for what I'm looking into doing, So far Ive found that Jeep axles will match the Chevy spline but what axle's do I want to use for some dune touring and light to medium trail cruzing? I also her K5's will do but will that be to heave for my 4.3ltr Vortech?

wants 4" to 6" lift

97' 4Dr
custom stereo 2 - 8's and a 12

Last edited by Monsta/man; 04-01-2010 at 05:43 PM.