Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front end on Blazer '03 w/4WD squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Front end on Blazer '03 w/4WD squeaks

I got this Blazer this April and in Nov. the front end began squeaking with any up and down motion, like driving over a bump. It has only 87 K miles on it.You can push down on the front bumper and it will squeak.What should I check? Will ball joints cause this? Upper or lower B.J. or both? I know that the sway bar bushings can cause squeaks. What else in the front suspension will cause this problem? This problem did seem to get worse with the colder weather.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Whenever I hear squeaks like you describe on any of my vehicles, the first thing I suspect is the ball joints. 90% of the time that's what it has been (a bad ball joint). I'd check them out.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM

I am hearing from Rock and reading that the 'front end squeak' is likely ball joints. I have also read that the lower ball joints usually wear out first. If I replace the ball joints, can I get away with just replacing the lower ones and leave the upper joints as is? Yes, I would check the upper ball joints while doing this project......Next question is what ball joint is the best? I like Moog and have used their outer tie rod ends. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Default More squeak news.

Reading other threads, I see that the Moog ball joints are popular here. I wanted to add that I noticed that the front end squeaks when driving in a parking lot and turning left or right at slow speed. I also can get the front end squeak when I drive up on ramps and am underneath and push up on the car. The squeak is definitely coming from the ball joint/shock area. does this help pin point the trouble area?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
Reading other threads, I see that the Moog ball joints are popular here. I wanted to add that I noticed that the front end squeaks when driving in a parking lot and turning left or right at slow speed. I also can get the front end squeak when I drive up on ramps and am underneath and push up on the car. The squeak is definitely coming from the ball joint/shock area. does this help pin point the trouble area?
What would help you the most is checking your ball joints.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 PM

When I had the Blazer on the ramps and wanted to lube the front end to see if that would make the squeak go away if only temporarily. I couldn't find the grease fittings on either the upper or the lower ball joints. I did see the lower ball joints were held on by small bolts rather than rivets, which I understand is a sign that the ball joints were replaced, ie not original GM. The 'nylon' bushing around the bottom of the lower joint was blue.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
When I had the Blazer on the ramps and wanted to lube the front end to see if that would make the squeak go away if only temporarily. I couldn't find the grease fittings on either the upper or the lower ball joints. I did see the lower ball joints were held on by small bolts rather than rivets, which I understand is a sign that the ball joints were replaced, ie not original GM. The 'nylon' bushing around the bottom of the lower joint was blue.
From your responses I'm guessing you are not familiar with checking your ball joints. There is actually a step by step process which you would find maybe somewhere in the forum, a you tube video, in a Haynes manual for your truck, or the best option from the GM Technical Manual for your truck. If you can't get access to one, try alldatadiy.com They have the specific TSM for your truck. I know on a '98 you put a jackstand under the lower control arms and pretty much everything is checked from that position.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
versechorusverse is on a distinguished road

I mean your grease zerk could be so covered with grease that you cant even see the grease zerk as was mine when I replaced them or they could have fallen off, I would take a rag and wipe the ball joint off. Just because your BJs squeak doesnt necessarily mean they are bad they could just need some grease.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:56 AM

I want to say that I have owned and maintained several RWD GM cars and two FWD cars. This is the first 4WD vehicle I have ever owned and it is very different to find the parts that are in the open and accessible in a RWD vehicle. I think that on the lower ball joints, the GM OEM ball joints didn't have grease fittings, but some of the replacement ones do. Since the lower ball joints on my 2003 has four bolts rather than rivets, I think they are replacements, but still can't find the grease fittings. I have the Haynes manual but as you know, it is of limited use. I have seen several U Tube vid's on the replacement of the upper and lower b/j.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

I would first check the simple stuff....like sway bar bushings
And shock bushings.....from my experiance when a ball joint is on the
Way out it starts to have a clunk sound.not a squeek sound

Quick Reply: Front end on Blazer '03 w/4WD squeaks