Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front End Looseness, Wobble and Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Beginning Member
218persuader is on a distinguished road
Default Front End Looseness, Wobble and Vibration

I have a 2000 4 dr Blazer with 150K and in the past 6 months I have been trying to get caught up on some maintenance that had been neglected. I have put new tires, shocks, brakes, u-joints, 3 out 4 ball joints need replaced and both wheel bearings have been replaced in the past couple years. During this time I felt an improvement in the drive increase greatly and now a couple months has gone by and I have developed or feel a “wobble” in the front end. At slow speeds in slightly rough driving the front feels loose and feels like something is wobbling. On the highway I can go 20 miles in one direction smoothly and turn and go back and I get a bad vibration intermittently for a couple miles at a time. I have been back through things looking for something loose with no success. Any Ideas?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like something in your steering linkage is a bit messed up. As the tie rod ends, pitman, and idler arms wear, they can cause weird things to happen. Especially the idler arm.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

im having the same issue. the pitman arm and tie rod ends are shot on mine.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Try getting an alignment. This happened when I went with bigger tires on my truck I would go past 75 and the thing would be all over the place.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys for the ideas, I knew my front rotors were needing replaced. I have replaced them and at that time I just double checked everything and found that the left front shock upper mount wasn’t as tight as it could have been. I tightened everything (I guess my impact gun doesn’t have the torque I thought it did) and I believe this took the wobble out of the front end. The new rotors definitely helped with the vibration in the front, but I still have a intermediate aggressive vibration throughout the blazer. I appreciate the steering ideas, but I assume this would be present at all times (just asking)? I can be driving along cruise set at 65 and I don’t know if a bump, steering wheel move or what will set it off, but this fairly violent vibration throughout the blazer will take off. I can feel it in the seat, the dash shakes and stuff in the back rattles. Then once again I will hit a bump, make my way around a sweeping turn in the road and it will come out of it and drive nice until next time. I drive about 35 miles on way to work and this will happen 2-3 time each way and I don’t believe it is in the same spots. Thanks again for the help and I do appreciate all additional help.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

unbalanced tires?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your upper a frame bushings to. Sometimes if there really bad you tend to go with bumps in the road. Happened to me and once I changed them it was a more stable ride. Unbalanced tires could be a very good factor too

Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Beginning Member
rsturge is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a bad vibration when i hit about 60km hr and it would go away in 30 to 40 sec turned out to be a sticking rear calliper. pretty easy fix.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys, ended up having a rear brake pad stick and tore up the rotor. I replaced pads and rotors, now she rides alot better. Still have a slight vibration occasionaly and now a strange hum inside, still chasing.