Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front end Squeal/Squeak/Sqwak

Old 09-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Drey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front end Squeal/Squeak/Sqwak

Hello! I have a 00 Blazer ZR2 4x4 w/ 70k miles. I have developed a squeking noise near my front passenger side tire area. If I do real quick slight turns with the wheel, it squeals. If I make a full right or left turn it does not squeal. I have looked under there and it appears to be coming from the front axle were it bolts up to the tire. It does not sound like it is the ball joints or shocks but I may be wrong. Any info on what is wrong and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Drey

Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 PM
ebutler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Front end Squeal/Squeak/Sqwak

Hi, Im new to this forum, and I have a similar problem... I have a 2003 Trailblazer LS 2 wheel drive with the inline 6cyl. It currently has about 60k miles on it.. My squeak started around 40k miles and it has me puzzeled.. it will squeak when you roll over or hit the smallest bump.. I can not make it squeak while it is sitting still, but it seems to be coming from the right front side... Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric

Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM

I can make mine sqeak while sitting still. It'll squeak when I'm getting out of my car. I'm not sure if this is a related issue or not, but everyone once in a while I will hear a *pop pop* sound coming from the tire area as well. The squeaking noise seems to be coming from the front axle boot area. The noise is so loud it's tough to isolate. Thanks!

Drey

Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 AM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine does the same thing. It's probably the bushings. power steering, especially with a lifted truck, will kill the bushings after awhile. check for any metal that can rub against metal. Ill work on mine either this weekend or next week and ill let you know how it goes

Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Drey

I can make mine sqeak while sitting still. It'll squeak when I'm getting out of my car. I'm not sure if this is a related issue or not, but everyone once in a while I will hear a *pop pop* sound coming from the tire area as well. The squeaking noise seems to be coming from the front axle boot area. The noise is so loud it's tough to isolate. Thanks!

Drey
If yours squeaks while still then you should have a partner bounce the front end of the car while you are laying down near the front where you suspect the noise coming from to see if you can pinpoint the problem. Couple of suggestions could be control arm bushings either upper or lower, also swaybar end link bushings also check the shock bushings. Then after checking spray the rubber parts with a silicone based spray lube and keep going to other rubber parts to see if you can stop the sqeaking. While under there look at the CV boots at the axle ends by the wheels to see if they are still in place and in good working order (no rips/tears).

Good Luck

Old 09-20-2006, 07:56 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked mine out today and it seems mines coming from the rear. But Im not sure if this is the same squeak as when its moving cause it sounds a little different. The bushings arent in as bad shape as i would have thought so im debating whether to go ahead and replace them or not. Also the rear leaf springs are making quite a bit of noise, dont know what i could do about taht tho

Old 09-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Excellent suggestion, can you reccoment a specific lube? Or should I just head over to autozone and tell them what I need? I'll surely inform you as to what it was.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:33 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Drey

Excellent suggestion, can you reccoment a specific lube? Or should I just head over to autozone and tell them what I need? I'll surely inform you as to what it was.
AutoZone Employess may or may not know the type of lube to use. But it would have to be compatible with the bushings installed in the vehicle. If bushings have been replaced with urethane then that will be a different style lubricant than for the original bushings. I have read that WD-40 works but since it is also a "penetrant/rust remover" I would not use it for a long term condition only as a temporary fix. But I would recomend a spray type lubricant so that it gets inside the actual friction points you are trying to lubricate.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 PM

Do "A" Frame bushings make sense? I've been told these are wore out and and dry. What is it going to take for me to replace this. I've also been told they're compressed to get in there. What special tools will I need to get. I have a plethura of tools, just not mechanic specialty tools. Can get from my Snap-On man though Also, that wheel boot behind the brakes. How much of a pain in the groin is it to replace these guys?

00 Blazer 4x4 Zr2

Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM

Also, is there a bushing replacement kit available? I'm having trouble finding one. I've got squeaks coming from all over this biznatch... Suggestions on that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end Squeal/Squeak/Sqwak