Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front rotation clicking

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Beginning Member
billyfromhill is on a distinguished road
Default Front rotation clicking

I recently bought a 2000 4x4 Blazer with 135k miles. Whenever I drive I hear a clicking noise coming from what sounds to be the right front wheel. The frequency of the clicking increases with speed. However, when I turn in either direction or apply the brakes, the clicking immediately stops. I have recently replaced the front discs and pads, along with the front brake lines and calipers that blew immediately after I did the brake job. The idler arm also has been replaced recently. I don't think it could be the CV joint because the noise stops when I turn. I'm thinking it could be the hub, but what baffles me is how the noise stops when I apply the brakes. Any thoughts?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

Have you checked your bearings and ball joints?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

check the center caps on the wheels

Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member

Would the ball joints be the cause if they don't rotate? The noise is definitely coming from some sort of rotating component.

Could it be the front differential? Mine is leaking slowly so I topped it off.

Could it possible be a wheel speed sensor also? My ABS light is on but no brake light.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:55 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

check your lug nuts?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Beginning Member

Now I'm thinking it could be something with the suspension/steering. The front end, particularly the right side has started to make noise similar to the click when I drive over bumps in the road.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
cheapazz is on a distinguished road

Could be as simple as the brake pads moving too, if the fit wasn't tight at install then it's possible and would make noise as described. The pads should've come with new clips or shims, if not the old ones could be worn allowing the pads to move enough to make noise. Seen it many times.... Could also be any of the above suggestions. Other than those, a loose or worn shock rubber would be far down the list of reasons, especially if it seems to be related to braking.

I wouldn't suspect the abs sensor since it is mounted and wouldn't be affected by braking, the light would be caused by some sort of malfunction or misread by a sensor or a dirty harmonic ring/sensor.

Caused by a diff is unlikely but anything is possible.

I would concentrate on the hub and brake area.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by cheapazz; 06-27-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member
JackedJimmy is on a distinguished road

Suprised you didnt refer him to my thread Cheapazz.

Had the same problem turned out to be the hub bearing. Pretty easy fix. Also check all your steering componets when you have the front end up. Top bottom of your tire will show the you the wheel bearing and side to side will show you steering/ball joints.
If you search in the 2nd gen tech section I have a whole thread discussing the problem and solution.
heres a video of what mine sounded like.
Aloha

Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Beginning Member

So it actually turned out to be the right front brake pads are missing the anti-rattle clips, causing the pads to move and bang against the caliper.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 AM
Beginning Member
cheapazz is on a distinguished road

Glad you found it, those small annoying things drive me crazy! Puts my OCD into overdrive.....

Quick Reply: Front rotation clicking