Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front suspension/steering replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 AM
jaydon44 is on a distinguished road
Default Front suspension/steering replacement

Hey guys my second post on this forum ever..

Ive been raking through the forums so i could get a grasp and be able to do all this myself and leanred....way to much haha

anyways im replacing all tie rod ends, upper/lower ball joints, idler arm and pitman arm, both CV axles, shock absorbers, and a center link...i think thers a center link in these things right?

anyways, some of these parts might be redundant but i have a shake at certain speeds and some play in the wheels and in the steering and i have had the blazer for two years and never replaced any steering or front end parts, so i figured i'd do it all at once...main reason i want to get the suspension and steering all top notch is because i plan to crank my torsion bars up a little..back to factory height...(sagging majorly) then above maybe one inch..and i think i can do that with the stock keys...and if not...thats another day..i also have a body lift to put in....aiming to be able to run 33 inch tires without putting a superlift in it

anyways i have the tools like a pitman arm puller and pickle fork and everything...pretty sure i know what im doing...anything else u guys suggest i do while im at this..or hints/tips or things to be carefull of...all my parts are gunna be moog replacement parts and the axles will be the "cardone" axles those are all good aftermarket brands right...think the pitman arm im getting is by "mevotech"...im ordering from summit racing all my friends tell me they are the place to order from...annnd im from canada lol ill go pick my stuff up from the boarder and its alot cheaper...

anything else i should do...are the control arm bushings worth replacing? they are not loose... any other bushings or links i should be concerned about...this is my first IFS truck and i am learning everything as i go

i dont have a major punch line question for this post...just hoping some of the experts can lay they're thots down and comments and concerns or experiences

Thanks alot in advance

Old 01-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Starting Member
jaked up is on a distinguished road

there is a flew jiont that well fix the play in your steering wheel you can ether change the flex joint in the steering shaft or you can get one out of some year jeeps im not shur which ones tho and as far as fiting 33's you will have to trim the fenders alot to fit them with only a 2 inch body lift

Old 01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I just did all of these parts myself this past weekend and its not at all hard to do it just takes time. I would say while your at it you may as well do the control arm bushings but that does require taking off the t-bars to do the bottom. I did not do this only the uppers but thats because they came installed on my new RC control arms. Make sure you leave room for adjustment on the tie rods for the alignment shop. And I found it way easier almost the only way actually to do the pitman arm is to remove the steering box from the truck completly. There is just no room to work on it with it in the truck. Also I would take the extra couple min to clean off the all the old grease from the back of the hubs and inspect everything while your in there. And if you are having shaking you may want to have them re balance your tires when they do the alignment that may be part of it as well. Hope this helps a little.