Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member
tilley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front wheel drive

i have a 1997 blazer 4x4. about a month ago the front differential blew. i put a new front differential in. its a 95. i need to get the axles that will conncet to the 95 differential. because money is tight i dont have the money for this. is it possible for me to just not hook any axles up to the front differential and just have it run as a 2x4. i do want to get everything back to normal but just not now, cause the money. basically i just want to know if its possible to not put the axle shafts on and still drive it

Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Front wheel drive

Sounds crazy...so crazy...it just might work!

No really I'm not sure. It sounds plausible in theory...but I would think most of the front end stability and support come from the axle being connected. Even in a 2wd vehicle, theres a front diff connecting axle shafts/cv joints. You're trying to just let the front wheels free wheel, but still steer and keep the vehicle on the road.

My vote is no. For saftey reasons.

But that's all food for thought..The other guys will give you a better answer.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 PM
chevcamls1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeap just remove the driveshaft and thats it

Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Yea just remove the shaft and you will be fine!!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Weird. I feel like thats unsafe.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: tilley101

basically i just want to know if its possible to not put the axle shafts on and still drive it
I would say don't drive it. You can drive it without the front drive shaft but not without the front axle shafts.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Sounds crazy...so crazy...it just might work!

No really I'm not sure. It sounds plausible in theory...but I would think most of the front end stability and support come from the axle being connected. Even in a 2wd vehicle, theres a front diff connecting axle shafts/cv joints. You're trying to just let the front wheels free wheel, but still steer and keep the vehicle on the road.

My vote is no. For saftey reasons.

But that's all food for thought..The other guys will give you a better answer.

In a 2wd there's a completely different setup, making it so you don't need the diff or axles

Otherwise the only thing you'd need to convert to 4x4 is a transfer case and front drive shaft.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
88_Blaze4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

The front wheel hubs/bearins need the load of theaxle shafts being bolted on itbecause the hub/bearing without the axle shafts willjust wear out and fall apart.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran

= Unsafe.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:04 PM
ack
ack is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, here'smy first official post:

From my experiences with IFS Trackers and Sidekicks, I would not recommend driving around without the CV shafts removed from the front driveline.

Here is my logic:

No CV shafts means thatthe insides of your hubs are exposed to the elements! Every time that you drive through standing water or loose gravel/dirt, you are exposing yourhubs (and maybe at least one end of the differential/center section?) to damaging water, dirt and dust! In the end, it'll cost you even more to get rebuilt hubs (and possibly differential guts).

I am not so sure that there would be any "load damage" as I believe that the CV shafts only carry axial loads transmitted by the differential. A 2wd Tracker hub casting is simply a 4wd hub with a block-off plate on the backside where the CV shaft and seal would be. I suspect that the design on a Blazer would be very similar. Yes, I know that a Tracker is actually a Suzuki product... but where do you think they get their designs???

I hope that this helps!

Quick Reply: Front wheel drive