Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front Wheel Hub socket size help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Not like it's needed, but it is a 36mm socket. You're new here & will realize that Kyle (swartllk) is pretty much bang on or at least leads a person in the right direction to solve an issue.

Glad you got it fixed.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
philipbolek is on a distinguished road

Thanks again to all. I sold off most of my heavier tools when I moved to Kona last year and am trying to piece together what is going to be needed to do the job. I may end up using lava rocks as jack stands......I may have lucked out with a local that works with my wife though, her husband has the 36mm, jack & stands and has offered to come over and change out for me!! I will keep this thread updated if I run into any issues.
Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM

So a new friend came over with a set of tools (36mm, jack, stands, etc.), ended up breaking his 1/2 breaker bar trying to remove the nut.......I am gonna try to drive it to his house where he has an impact wrench. My friend after looking at the existing hub and wiggling the half axle thinks my problem is more than likely the axle vs the bearing! The blazer has a grind/thump from the drivers side footwell, the sound accelerates with the rolling of the vehicle whether in drive, neutral or 4 wheel. No heavier sounds when I brake or turn the wheel side to side (while rolling).
I am hoping to be able to take it to his house this evening, replace the hub and find out if it is the hub or the axle.
Any words of wisdom, advice. Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by philipbolek
So a new friend came over with a set of tools (36mm, jack, stands, etc.), ended up breaking his 1/2 breaker bar trying to remove the nut.......I am gonna try to drive it to his house where he has an impact wrench. My friend after looking at the existing hub and wiggling the half axle thinks my problem is more than likely the axle vs the bearing! The blazer has a grind/thump from the drivers side footwell, the sound accelerates with the rolling of the vehicle whether in drive, neutral or 4 wheel. No heavier sounds when I brake or turn the wheel side to side (while rolling).
I am hoping to be able to take it to his house this evening, replace the hub and find out if it is the hub or the axle.
Any words of wisdom, advice. Thanks
What you describe points TO the bearing rather than away from it,
Once it gets so bad, then turning pressure will make no difference, in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what's what!
Remember.. on a wheel bearing, if it feels rough at all when you turn the inner race with your fingers, it's bad.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Ditto & if a bearing is at that point (GRRRRRinding) then when you lift the vehicle there could/should be a noticeable difference when you move the tire left/right, up/down. It'll have play BEFORE the tie rod ends move.
If you do drive it to the other friends, when you get out immediately check both front rims closest to the center (use the back of your hand, it's more sensitive). If one is warmer than the other, that for sure is the bearing.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 AM

So my wifes co-worker rode home with her and took my Blazer to her husband (the guy who broke the 1/2 drive breaker bar) to replace the hub. Got a call from my wife yesterday, her co-worker said her husband said its the axle vs the hub. I call a few auto parts and locate the axle, one in Hilo that can be here on Monday evening. 5 minutes later my wife calls me back and says her co-worker said its all fixed now......leery all day......go to pick up the car, no problems, no more rubbing/grinding noise!!
Now the strange part, at least to me. My wifes co-workers husband has not charged me for any labor. I was originally supposed to just borrow the tools (36mm, etc.) from him. He came over my house, couldnt fix it in my driveway and then had his wife drive it to their house so he could fix it there. I have only talked to him once. When we went to pick up the car, the key was just sitting in the ignition. I didnt even get to thank him!! I guess its strange for me to be humbled, I have never been on the receiving end of such help and dont know how to respond. His wife (my wifes co-worker) keeps saying "thats what friends are for"........

Anyways, my car seems to be fixed for now thanks to the generosity of some awesome Hawaiian people. Thanks to all on here for helping me with tool help and advice as well