Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

frontend work need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM
[FSG]W}{@T-T}{3!! is on a distinguished road
Exclamation frontend work need help

hi all I realy need frontend work 91 jimmy slx s15 all my 4x4 works fine an its a daily driver
but when I hit a bump in the road or speed bump it sounds like the frontend is falling out both driver an pass side make realy bad noises

I have jacked this jimmy up 3-4 time to try an find a problem
ball joints upper an lower seem fine there blue boot moog all 4 of them
stearing bars have new joints or bar was replaced an new tires but there not showing any sign of odd wear

I tried to wiggle all parts an mounts with a big bar all seems tight I don't get it I need some help trouble shoot this problem
pls an thx
whatthe

ps this truck is new to me only had it month or 2 an its the reason they sold it so cheep I gess all my guys tell me balljoints but I checked them they seem fine little to no play up or down

Last edited by [FSG]W}{@T-T}{3!!; 02-15-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hood hinge rattle? There is a TSB on this that details installing Bellville washers on both of the hinge bolts to tighten things up.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

^this. Did you check the front differential rubber mounts?

Old 02-16-2014, 03:04 PM

its not the hood hinges there good an front differential rubber mounts ?? not sure where to look its ifs an the diff pot seems very tight no wiggle to it at all the upper Aarm bushing have alil wiggle back and forward and no wiggle up an down

im starting to think front shocks but not sure there easy to push up an hard to pull down does this seem right for front shocks ?

its realy loud clunk clunk or bang bang depends on my speed I hit the bump at lol
hell i'll even try to get a vid up of the noises stay tuned lol

an thx for the tips guys i'll keep plugin away at this

Last edited by [FSG]W}{@T-T}{3!!; 02-16-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Starting Member
versechorusverse is on a distinguished road

Could be the shock bushings, torsion bar crossmember bushings, sway bar bushings, upper control arm bushings. You should be able to push up and down on the front of your car one way to see if you shocks are bad is give your car a good push down and it should come back up and stop, if it keeps bouncing up and down before coming to a stop I would say you probably need new shocks.

There are two diff bushings one in the mount by the front driveshaft and one in the front mount

Last edited by versechorusverse; 02-16-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 PM

well the new shocks helped but its still got the bang I tried to video the noise an whatnot but it didn't work out so well most time the bang was just my muffler hittin the floor... but it feels an sounds like the frontend is falling out

realy I think the only thing that can make that kinda noise an not break would be balljoints but there tight I don't get it ill keep plugin away tho

how do I test the long toqurebars for ware an play I shook them with my hands an the hole truck was moving

im also not good with wheelbearings an there is some play there but cant jusafy a loud bang can it ??

7more day to play with it if I cant figer it out by then i'll take it to the shop

ooh ya I didn't get time to look yet but I will There are two diff bushings one in the mount by the front driveshaft and one in the front mount
thankx for the tip

Last edited by [FSG]W}{@T-T}{3!!; 02-20-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: srry im learning to spell lolol
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
01 Jimmy SLE is on a distinguished road

You won't be able to wiggle the torsion bars with your hands, especially if the trucks on the ground and the suspension is compressed a bit. It won't be those bars themselves that are necessarily worn, they just weaken over time, but that's something else entirely. The tbar crossmember is bolted on both sides to the frame, and without a load on the suspension, that crossmember is loose. Versechorusverse is talking about the bushings where that crossmember is mounted to the frame. As for how to check them exactly... I'm not sure.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

How about the body mounts right under the rear of the front fender. These rust out often on blazers

Old 02-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Jimmy SLE
You won't be able to wiggle the torsion bars with your hands, especially if the trucks on the ground and the suspension is compressed a bit. It won't be those bars themselves that are necessarily worn, they just weaken over time, but that's something else entirely. The tbar crossmember is bolted on both sides to the frame, and without a load on the suspension, that crossmember is loose. Versechorusverse is talking about the bushings where that crossmember is mounted to the frame. As for how to check them exactly... I'm not sure.

thankx ill look under an see whats up just waitin for the truck lift to open up
hopefully he calls today
also im starting to think it is the crossmember mount or trans/transfercase mount
went hell rippin in the snow an it was fine lots of wheel spinning/turning an sliding friends say the wheels looked good not flopin around so we will see soon the problem I hope

Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 PM

sorry im so late comming back lol
but ya turns out it was the 2 controle arms bolt on under the rad support they were hella wore out
replace both all was great sold it bought a 2000 jimmy slt )
so far so good luv the thing

Quick Reply: frontend work need help