Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

full size rear disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:47 PM
|
tri94bbc is on a distinguished road
Question full size rear disc conversion

I would like to convert my rear brake drums to discs. I tried searching to find if a newer "Tahoe" might come with rear disc brakes instead of drums. My question goes out to anyone knowledgeable about this, if they do come with discs would the gears in the rear end be compatible with the front on my 94 Blazer 4x4 if I decided to just buy the whole rear end? Or would it just be easier spending the $1100 + for the conversion kit ?

Old 06-02-2011 | 12:26 PM
Beginning Member
Don Green is on a distinguished road

I really doubt the gear ratio is the same. I know our Avalanche runs along at 2000 rpm/110 kph the Blazer does 2100/110 kph. Full size also run beefier axles.

Old 06-02-2011 | 03:22 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

The 98+ Blazers had disc brakes. There are several topics that deal with the swap. It's a basic swap.

Old 06-02-2011 | 05:42 PM
|

Thanks for the lead on the swap. Now where can I find it ? I'm not navigation savvy on this site just yet.

Thanks... about the info on the Avalanche... I beginning to think finding a rear with the disc set up is good but just take the hardware off it and bolt it to mine...

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-05-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 06-04-2011 | 12:27 PM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Just from personal experience..... Rear disc brake conversions are a complete waste of time and money.

I've done it and the results were negligible at best. Very little difference in stopping power.

70% of a vehicles stopping power is provided by the FRONT brakes.

It's not worth $1100 and a days worth of your time IMHO.

Old 06-04-2011 | 01:08 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I agree. I did the swap on my k30. And really didn't notice any more stopping power. I did it cause the drums are huge and heavy and it was actually cheaper to buy the rear disc brackets and calipers then to buy new drums shoes and hardware

Old 06-04-2011 | 06:40 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

its not a easy swap either. its very labor intensive. the whole master cylinder needs to be switched over. the brake bias for drum and brake bias for disc are completely different. Unless you can fine tune a proportioning valve you'll end up with messed up brakes.

Old 06-05-2011 | 10:37 AM
|

Maybe you guys are right. That money could be better spent on other goodies for my little red head. The only reason I contemplated the conversion was it's so easy changing pads and rotors than the drums and guts inside them. I will consider what you guys have said. Thanks for the info, it helps in making an informed decision on this project.

Old 06-05-2011 | 10:54 AM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tri94bbc
The only reason I contemplated the conversion was it's so easy changing pads and rotors than the drums and guts inside them.
You could have a shop swap out the parts 10 times over and still not recoup the cost of a conversion.

Now go spend your hard earned $$$ on that little redhead! :>)

Old 06-06-2011 | 04:37 AM
|

That sounds like a great idea... I'm gonna order the dual/ muffler back pipes, new grille shell, and body working tools this weekend...

Quick Reply: full size rear disc conversion