Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

G80 in the front differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default G80 in the front differential

Would it be possible to put a G80 in the front diff? I ask this because I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Or maybe there's a reason they dont come with them.

I haven't had one of the front diff's apart yet so that's why I'm asking. It seems like it would work because it wont lock unless one wheel is spinning. And it would unlock at road speeds.

I know that Jeeps and some other 4x4's have locking diffs.

Or would you want something that you could manually control?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am not aware of any locking differentials for the IFS front diff used in the s-series trucks. Even if there were lockers available, I would not recommend them in the aluminum diff housing that most s-series 4wds got. The ZR2 and some lucky others got the iron front diff housing, but they are quite rare.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Kyle

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't considered the aluminum cases.

I could see how it that it would stress it. I guess that answers my question.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

BUT if you got the ZR2 or rare carrier, could you pack the G80 running gear in to make a locking front diff like in the first question?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 PM

I think I'm gonna stuff one in my Sonoma and see what blows up. Just for the heck of it.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

so there was a iron case made for these trucks. i was looking for an air locker, but wasn't having much luck.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Beginning Member
DFINE160 is on a distinguished road

You guys will have to pardon my ignorance but what all makes the g80 different? I just replaced my gt4 g80 with a gu6 non g80 and would like the limited slip and 3.73 back.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

g80 is kind of unique in it's set up. It is essentially an open differential that becomes imited slip when needed (excessive wheel spin). that beind said it's also like a full time locker at low rpms(wheel turn rpms, not engine) say under 20 mph, due to it being centrifugal force operated (wighted deal inside) to engage/disengage the clutches.

It is a standad differential equiped with the Eaton Governed Locker, hence the name gov-lock. It is not open or posi. It is not a 'locker' in the traditional sense, it is a "locking differential". Confused? now you understand the g80 then

Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

To add in to this the Iron housings also come from 5 speed trannys. The auto tranny s10s had aluminum.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Now I'm gonna have to go out and see if my Sonoma has an iron diff. Prob not since it's a 94. Ya never know.

Quick Reply: G80 in the front differential