Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

GM AutoTrak II Fluid Alternatives

Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 AM
oldsbravada2000 is on a distinguished road
Default GM AutoTrak II Fluid Alternatives

I have found an alternative for the gm autotrak II fluid and thought I should share it. The manual in my 2000 Olds Bravada says the gm part number for autotrak II is 12378396 but it may be different for you. I searched for HOURS and was on the royal purple website and went into the "MANUAL TRANSMISSION" section and found Synchromax fluid with the gm part number listed in relation to it. Check it out For yourself click on the link I posted below then CLICK ON MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND SCROLL DOWN you will see "GM Transfer Case (PN 12378508, PN 12378396) Synchromax." I have already purchased some and put it in my transfer case but haven't driven very far with it yet.
Royal Purple Transmission Lubricant Chart

Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For the cost difference (Royal Purple costs more btw), just go to the GM dealer and buy the 2qts needed to properly maintain the clutch pack in your transfer case.

I don't know why so many people want to find alternatives to an already synthetic fluid that is made for the transfer case it is intended to go in and not a universal fluid that "meets" a spec that hasn't even been released by the manufacturer.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
bigdogtim7 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
For the cost difference (Royal Purple costs more btw), just go to the GM dealer and buy the 2qts needed to properly maintain the clutch pack in your transfer case.

I don't know why so many people want to find alternatives to an already synthetic fluid that is made for the transfer case it is intended to go in and not a universal fluid that "meets" a spec that hasn't even been released by the manufacturer.
I would tend to agree. You cannot assume that all Factory OEM Fluids or Parts are still much higher in price just because they are made for this or that specific vehicle or part.

Keep on Trucking w/ Chevrolet

Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

AGree.. I bought at Chevy dealer and see no reason to try to improve on something that was plainly developed and tested to avoid Warranty costs.

Of course I also tout Mobil 1 a LOT.. and Lucas to FIX specific problems.. but I gotta laugh at Amsoil and Royal Purple pushers..

I ran a turbo 2.3 HARD for 150 K miles and was shocked to see how well M1 worked at the teardown. How exactly do you improve on perfectly clean and in-tolerance?
You want to buy it fine.. but remember the law of diminishing return.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
oldsbravada2000 is on a distinguished road

I just posted this for people like me, I live out in the country and I am miles away from any dealership but there are 3 auto part stores nearby that sell this I know it's the SAME thing as autotrak II fluid and it even costs more but there aren't any dealerships or GM auto part dealers by me.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Autotrak 2 is $6.69/qt online. RP Syncromax is $14 (cheapest I could find)... Both are synthetic. No real reason to change from the fluid designed for these transfer cases. Especially those that plan ahead. Even with shipping, Autotrak 2 is a no-brainer compared with the cost of the RP stuff in brick & mortar stores.

But please do post the facts behind your statement that they are the same thing...