Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

gov lock in front

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
1bigburb is on a distinguished road
Default gov lock in front

hi, im new here and already know that most people do not like the gov lock. i recently scraped my old suburban and pulled the gov lock for the hell of it. it was in an 8.5in rear and now i am wondering if i should use it in the front of my new burb witch has an 8.5 front. the only reason i am considering this is because im hurting for cash and already have the part. the truck is street drivin but will not be in 4 wheel for the most part on the street unless we get hit with alot of snow, and also yes the front is a straight axle not ifs.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

you will have a hard time turning under power if it tries to lock on you.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 01vortec
you will have a hard time turning under power if it tries to lock on you.
Not sure I understand your reasoning on this as there are MANY vehicles that run true lockers up front and have no problem with turning providing their steering system is up to par. I think having a G80 up front would be perfect.

To the OP, I have no idea if the G80 will fit up front but if you do it, please let us know how things work out. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I think you may run into an issue with the whole reverse cut vs forward cut gearing. Usually front and rear gearing is opposite, meaning the carrier in the diff will spin the other way, and the G80 is only designed to spin in one direction for locking (won't lock in reverse right?)

But if both front and rear axles have the same rotation, then I don't see what the issue would be...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WolfPack
I think you may run into an issue with the whole reverse cut vs forward cut gearing. Usually front and rear gearing is opposite, meaning the carrier in the diff will spin the other way, and the G80 is only designed to spin in one direction for locking (won't lock in reverse right?)

But if both front and rear axles have the same rotation, then I don't see what the issue would be...
Could have sworn mine locks and clunks in Reverse... I'll have to check.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AJBert
Not sure I understand your reasoning on this as there are MANY vehicles that run true lockers up front and have no problem with turning providing their steering system is up to par. I think having a G80 up front would be perfect.

To the OP, I have no idea if the G80 will fit up front but if you do it, please let us know how things work out. Sounds like a great idea to me!
the steering system really has nothing to do with what I'm saying, Obviously the wheel will turn, but have you tried driving truck with a locked front axle? the wheels turn, but the truck still wants to go straight as both wheels are turning the same exact speed. They try to fight each other. If its a turn thats not under power it will probably keep free wheeling and act as an open diff, but if you try to turn under power and it locks, Its not going to turn very well

Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 01vortec
the steering system really has nothing to do with what I'm saying, Obviously the wheel will turn, but have you tried driving truck with a locked front axle? the wheels turn, but the truck still wants to go straight as both wheels are turning the same exact speed. They try to fight each other. If its a turn thats not under power it will probably keep free wheeling and act as an open diff, but if you try to turn under power and it locks, Its not going to turn very well
That only happens with a real locker (detroit, powertrax etc.) ... the g80 requires wheel spin to activate so it will act similar to a Limited Slip and be invisible until you start spinning tires.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

search. asked and answered. for example

Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Starting Member
1bigburb is on a distinguished road

ok first off thanks for the input. so i now understand that it will only lock under "wheel spin" but being that its in the front diff if im turning left for an example the right side wheel will technicly be spinning faster than the left... so will this cause the locker to act like i am getting wheel spin and lock?
thanks again

Originally Posted by ABN31B
search. asked and answered. for example

and sorry i read this thread but it didnt realy answer any of my questions

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-31-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post and use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Everything that I have read suggests that the gov-loc requires around 200rpm difference side to side for it to lock. Typical steering in a parking lot shouldn't cause that much of a difference in speed.

As far as the swap goes, unless you are sure that it was working properly when pulled, I wouldn't chance going through all of the trouble swapping it over into your front diff. There are MUCH better diffs out there. I understand that it is basically free, but your time isn't nor are the additional parts (bearings, shims, gaskets, etc) that would be required to install the diff.

Quick Reply: gov lock in front