Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Help! can't find correct Pitman arm for 97 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM
whitsmart is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Help! can't find correct Pitman arm for 97 2WD

trying to replace pitman arm on 97 2wd and all replacements i'm finding to purchase look totally different where it connects to center link. Mine has a screw with nut pointing upward coming out of the top and a greasing tit on bottom of center link connnection. Replacements have a screw that would go through the center link and bolt on the bottom. I haven't taken the old one out yet because i don't know if i can find the correct replacement. The bottom of my center link looks like its sealed so the new part just doesn't look like it will work. Even local parts house "experts" are baffled.

Last edited by whitsmart; 09-01-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Default Found the Answer

Just found the answer. There is not a replacement Pitman Arm for the 2WD. Since the wear joint is built into the center link, there is "theoretically" nothing to wear out, therefore no replacement part is made. All Pitman Arms I found for the 97 Blazer were actually for the 4WD only. I have to use the old one.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 PM
robbsignz is on a distinguished road

I'm in the middle of the same issue.. I realize when I was getting the "wrong" part I was sent ready to send back, I realized they sent what's shown to be the correct part for my 98 2wd 4dr.. but my current pitman has a hole for the connector to seat thru while the one I was sent has a sealed joint on it so it's unusable by me... now at a loss exhausting search energy, I've been considering replacing the entire linkage system...
Did you fix your truck, how?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by robbsignz
I'm in the middle of the same issue.. I realize when I was getting the "wrong" part I was sent ready to send back, I realized they sent what's shown to be the correct part for my 98 2wd 4dr.. but my current pitman has a hole for the connector to seat thru while the one I was sent has a sealed joint on it so it's unusable by me... now at a loss exhausting search energy, I've been considering replacing the entire linkage system...
Did you fix your truck, how?
Old part cleaned up and worked fine. I replaced center link and idler arm too and it feels like a new car. My steering had been "super-sensitive" for a couple of years and now it's normal. After 235,000 or or so miles, I'd say it was well overdue.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:56 PM
robbsignz is on a distinguished road

Yeah I came to the a simular conclusion, also found that the pitman on my truck is the same as 1st gen and thought maybe the half @ss, no wait that implies half good, the last **** poor job of lowering the truck included repurposing other model parts.. none the less I've decided to replace all steering components... after that's done combined with all the suspension work I've already done... the repairs will be at a higher cost than the value of the truck... and I haven't even began the wiring, mechanical, or cosmetic work it needs.... I'm a sucker for the damn s-series though, this is my third... one day I hope to do a full on body of resto-mod so I can build the damn truck like it should have been done at the draft table... thanks for the feed back though... Can any one tell me the fastest shortest tire I can put on the factory rims..