Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Help changing my Front diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member
jakem is on a distinguished road
Default Help changing my Front diff?

Is there any threads on how to do this?
my front diff went bad so im changing it out. Thanks for any help.

It a 4 door 2000 blazer Ls

Last edited by jakem; 04-16-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member
Default looking for info

bump to the top.
anybody no how hard it is to change out the front diff on a 2000 blazer?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:38 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

It's fairly easy, just time consuming. I can't remember any of the bolt sizes, so this is just what I remember doing. First disconnect the cable attached to the top of the diff. Then disconnect the overflow tube (not sure if that's what it's called), it'll be located on top. I would drain the diff just to make sure no gear oil spills on the ground. Next, I would losen the wheel nuts and the axle nut on both sides. Then jack up the Blazer so you can get underneath it, make sure it's secure.

You'll have to disconnect the CV axles from the diff. I think the easiest way would be to remove both front wheels, disconnect the upper balljoint from the spindle on the driver side (this is to have room to push one cv out). Then, remove the axle nuts so you can take the CVs off later.

Next, you'll need to unbolt the diff from the truck. Should be four bolts that hold it up (two on both sides) and I think there are two maybe three bolts that are horizontal on the diff. Put a jack underneath the diff to hold it up. After you remove all the bolts it's time to manuver the diff around to get both cv axles out with it. If they are stuck in place just tap them inward with a hammer from the hub. After the diff is removed you could either take the old CVs off it and use them on the next, or I recommend getting some new CV axles. Use a pry bar and with a popping motion jerk the CV's out of the diff.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rob44_90
It's fairly easy, just time consuming. I can't remember any of the bolt sizes, so this is just what I remember doing. First disconnect the cable attached to the top of the diff. Then disconnect the overflow tube (not sure if that's what it's called), it'll be located on top. I would drain the diff just to make sure no gear oil spills on the ground. Next, I would losen the wheel nuts and the axle nut on both sides. Then jack up the Blazer so you can get underneath it, make sure it's secure.

You'll have to disconnect the CV axles from the diff. I think the easiest way would be to remove both front wheels, disconnect the upper balljoint from the spindle on the driver side (this is to have room to push one cv out). Then, remove the axle nuts so you can take the CVs off later.

Next, you'll need to unbolt the diff from the truck. Should be four bolts that hold it up (two on both sides) and I think there are two maybe three bolts that are horizontal on the diff. Put a jack underneath the diff to hold it up. After you remove all the bolts it's time to manuver the diff around to get both cv axles out with it. If they are stuck in place just tap them inward with a hammer from the hub. After the diff is removed you could either take the old CVs off it and use them on the next, or I recommend getting some new CV axles. Use a pry bar and with a popping motion jerk the CV's out of the diff.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for the info that helps alot!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member
Default Thanks rob44_90

I followed ur insructions and it when very well only took 2.5 hours from start to finish. Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

No problem, glad to help!!!