Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How do I change an idler arm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Kellenlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I change an idler arm?

I need to change my idler arm on my 2005 chevrolet blazer. Do i need to do both sides? what else should i do while I have everything torn apart? What special tools will I need, and how long should it take?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How do I change an idler arm?

I think you only have one idler arm the other one that is very similar is the pitman arm. I think you need a special steering linkage puller for both and the pitman arm need another special tool.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Also the bolts holding them on are on quite tight if I recall. You'll need either a high PSI air wrench or a bit of extra mustard for the wrench..

Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
noom14921992 is an unknown quantity at this point

i tryed it on mine and it was not doable with out the special tools. i took it to a shop and they did both of them for $85

Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

That's not too bad at all! Is that at normal labor rates or was that a quick little favor they did for ya?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You really should get an alignment done after replacing any one of the steering components. That will increase the price.

As far as the removal. A good breaker bar to first loosen the bolts that attach the idler arm to the frame will help. If air tools are available, then a pickle fork attachment for an air hammer makes quick work of the idler arm to steering linkage connection. If it isn't available, then first try using two 5lb hammers, one behind the steering linkage and the other to hit the opposite side of the steering linkage, both where the idler arm goes through. Typically, the shock of a hammer hit will loosen the tapered fit and pop the idler loose. If that doesn't work, screw the castle nut back on upside down and hit the end of the threaded stud with the hammer, again, having another hammer as a counter weight just resting on the back of the steering linkage (not the back of the idler).