Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How do I check to see if I have a bad cv axle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 PM
livinterror is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I check to see if I have a bad cv axle?

Just like the title says.. 1999 Blazer 4wd.
Thanks

Old 12-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How do I check to see if I have a bad cv axle?

Drive in a tight circle and listen for clicking. Or grab the axle and feel for play up/down/left/right (not necessarily in/out).

What makes you suspect that you have a bad CV axle?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Do I have to jack the blazer up and then try to move the cv axle? I am just wondering because I took off both my front wheels today and when I spun the rotor and stuff around the cv axle spun with it on the passenger side but it did not spin on the drivers side.. Is it suppouse to be like this? Let me know please
Thanks
TRISTAN

Old 12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The CV shaft should spin with the wheel on both sides. That would be a pretty good indication that you have a problem... Is the boot cut loose?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 PM

will look tomorrow...

Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

shouldn't it only spin both tires if you have it in 4 wheel drive? I could spin my axels independently when 4 wheel was disengaged? Like swart said, cv joints are bad when you are turning and you hear a clicking sound, or if the boot is torn it will only be a mater of time before it starts clicking.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

I took it to mean that when he spun the driver side wheel, the driver side CV shaft did not spin... I guess I did not think that he would be trying to spin the driver side CV shaft by spinning the passenger side wheel... We need some clarification on that.

Without the front axle being engaged, spinning either side will not result in the opposite side spinning.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:29 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

so a bad cv would only make noise when the tires are actually rolling? what about being in park and moving the steering wheel?