Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

how do I ID the front pumpkin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member
arudlang is on a distinguished road
Default how do I ID the front pumpkin?

Hey guys, I want to ID my front differential because I am considering ordering something, anything, to get power applied evenly or at least more evenly to the front wheels in 4x4. I don't know if there is much available or not, and I'm open to suggestions. I kinda think it would be nice to be able to put a powertrax no-slip in it like I will be doing to the rear this summer, but like i said im not sure if i can even get it for the front. I know my rear diff is a 7.625" 10 bolt, RPO code GU6 with 3.42 gears

Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You've got a 7.2 front diff, only one they put in the small blazers.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks! Is there any other name it goes by? I'm trying to see if powertrax makes a no-slip setup for it, looking on summitracing's page im not seeing a 7.2" diff anywhere...definatly nothing made by Dana right?

EDIT
I found the powertrax lock-right setup for the front diff..i think...i would really rather have the no-slip version though. im worried the lock-right would give me noise and chattery steering. this is the right thing though right?
http://www.shop.synergyoffroad.com/p...&productId=216

EDIT, again...
I found this powertrax application manual online...for both the no-slip and lock-right systems. I scrolled down to the GM 7.2" diff, and theres a part number for the lock-right, same as i posted ^^^^, but no part number for a no-slip system. So...i guess its safe to say they dont make no-slip for the front end...
that sucks :lol:

What else can I do to be able to lock up the front wheels in winter without making steering go to crap? Is there no limited slip carrier for it or anything?

Last edited by arudlang; 06-04-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

To my knowledge, what you have posted is the only thing out there for our IFS. Keep in mind it will only affect steering when you are in 4WD. In 2WD it will not cause any problems.

Or, the other, much more expensive route, is SFA.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

well. im not a big fan of expensive, but I will ask anyways...whats SFA?
And are you sure the steering would be fine up front as long as I was in 2 wheel drive? wouldn't there still be a bunch of clacking noises every time i took a turn? They don't recommend its use in non off-road/severe weather applications, probably for that reason?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
BF Veteran

SFA is swapping out your IFS (indepentant front suspension) for a solid front axle.

And, yes, your steering will be uneffected in 2WD. You have a two piece passenger side axle that engages when you push the button on the dash. If the axle is not engaged there is no way the two axles can be tied together through a locker.

The only time the front locker would come into play is when you are in 4HI or 4LO.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member

Ah yeah theres no way im gonna get a solid front axle, :lol:
Im not sure about the steering still though, actually my front driveshaft is on the driver's side, not the passenger side. (im 90% sure, havent been under it since winter, but im pretttttty sure) one or two piece I dont remember, not that it matters a ton. and I realise that the two CV shafts wouldnt be locked together in 2 wheel drive, but the specific design of the lock-right locker, as opposed to the no-slip system, make it a lot harsher. even in 2 wheel drive it is my understanding that as it allows the front CV shafts to turn different speeds the lock-right will be slipping over itself, clickity-clacking, wearing itself down probably.
And if im right and thats how it works, then all summer long as im driving it to work and whatnot in 2 wheel drive I will be slowly wearing it out on every turn I make...thats not a happy thought for a 400 dollar unit. I have read on other people's trucks who say they get around 20-30 thousand miles out of a lock-right before its so worn that it engages when it shouldnt and whatnot. Thats not terrible I guess...I suppose, since it *seems* to be easy to install, it might be feasible to put it in every winter and take it out every spring...that sounds like a fun messy job.
bleh...i dont know...I want to be able to have that true 4x4 on those few worst days of the year when the snow has piled up 2 feet overnight...but i don't want to spend the other 3/4 of the year wearing out the locker up front...hmmm. I wonder if the no-slip doesnt wear out just as fast...im thinking out loud to myself here now lol helps me to type this all out and get my thoughts straight, know what i mean?
so if i lay it out...
I would have a no-slip kit in my rear diff, which should provide nice, somewhat quiet and smooth operation even during my summer driving...
and
I would have a lock-right in the front...which will probably chatter when I make turns having its gears slip over themselves, and maybe make the steering feel just slightly funnier than it all ready does. big whoop I guess, should still be driveable and feel more like a truck maybe and less like a minivan...and then, then on those couple weeks in the dead of winter when everything is sheet ice and/or multiple feet of snow (i hope) I will be able to hit the all-mighty 4 HI button and be pretty much unstopable because all tires will get power...all for under 1000 bucks...sweetness!
well, and I will be getting new tires too. still, around 1500 bucks isnt bad at all. I really don't drive it much in the summer anyways because I have my firebird...
wow can I ramble or what? xD