Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How do you change a wheel hub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010 | 04:08 PM
|
Starting Member
Drifter666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you change a wheel hub?

Ok so I have another problem with my truck. A few weeks back I heard a humming noise coming from the passengers side front wheel, I didn't pay much attention to it because i knew what it was. But last week I had to do brakes because the passengers side was metal to metal on the inside. I had just replaced front and rear " rotors, pads, drums, and shoes" on JAN 21st OF THIS YEAR!!!! and maybe I put 4-6k miles on my truck in that time but I looked at the hub and it really didn't move much at all maybe 1/8" to 1/16".

However today because I was bored I jacked the front end up and the passengers side wheel moves around an inch. I also found out that the bolts on my front sway bar are backing out, I've lost 3 bolts and the rubber on the drivers side and I think there are 2 bolts backing out on the passengers side. Would these problems be related? Also it's throwing a code that the passengers side ABS wheel sensor is bad.

How much work is involved with changing the wheel hub?

Old 04-20-2010 | 04:34 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

you get the wheel sensor code because the hub is bad
they are really easy to change
just pull it apart like you are doing brakes, remove the caliper and rotor. then take off the 36mm center nut, there are 3 bolts behind the spindle that hold the hub on, 15mm i believe. remove those than bang the hub off. slide the new one on, bolt it in and re assemble the brakes

Old 04-20-2010 | 05:10 PM
|
Starting Member

Alright man cool, only thing I'm going to have an issue with is the 33mm nut i have nothing that will fit that maybe a pair of channel locks will work. Would anyone know about the stupid bolts backing out? Should I just remove my sway bar? I tend to drive like I'm on the run when I'm by myself and when turning to the left it feels like I need to turn my truck a lot more to make it turn I don't know if the sway bar missing a bracket would make it like that or if it is because of the wheel hub?

Old 04-20-2010 | 05:14 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

i would invest in a 36mm socket its on there pretty tight

Old 04-20-2010 | 05:49 PM
|
Starting Member

I'll have to see if I can find a "loan a tool" for a 33mm socket, what drive would that be cuz I have a 3/8 and a 1/2" drive wrench

Old 04-20-2010 | 05:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

4wd Hub/Bearing Assembly Replacement

Its basically the same on the 1st gens.

Old 04-20-2010 | 09:09 PM
|
Starting Member

Thanks for the help, but im afraid that it is a dead link, I used the search before posting and i didn't find that

Old 04-20-2010 | 11:58 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You can buy the 3/4 drive socket for about 8 dollars at any tool place, and an adapter to go from 3/4 down to 1/2 so you can stick it on your breaker bar. You will never loosen that nut with channel locks, you might strip it and break your channel locks, but its not coming off. Tighten it to 150 foot pounds.

Old 04-21-2010 | 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drifter666
Thanks for the help, but im afraid that it is a dead link, I used the search before posting and i didn't find that
Fixed.

Old 04-21-2010 | 09:24 AM
|
Starting Member

thanks man, so on my 1st gen is the center nut a 33mm or a 36mm like in that how to?

Quick Reply: How do you change a wheel hub?