Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

howling noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default howling noise

Sometimes at slow speeds usually coming out of a turn I hear this howling/ moaning sound when straightening the wheels. I've brought it to 2 differant shops to have them tell me what it might be, but of course when they take it on thier test drive it doesn't happen. It's too inconsistent, doesn't happen alot. Anybody else ever have this problem or know what I'm talking about.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: howling noise

I am not sure what that is, but mine does that now when I turn left or right. It happens more when turning right. Its not balljoints or shocks (just replaced), I don't think it is the brakes (although I can't hear it anymore when braking), I am thinking it might be something with the hub assembly, but not sure. Hope someone can help us.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna say 90% sure on the hub bearings. I know that when I put my cheap-o tires on a few months ago, they howled on the street. Now that I had my balljoints fixed (and presumably put everything in the front end back where it was supposed to be) I can hear the bearing's rhythmic howl in turns, but not in straightaways. This is consistent with what Hanr3 posted about symptoms of a bad bearing. I plan on purchasing two from Synergy's Offroad as they're $84 a piece and replacing them myself.
ORIGINAL: Hanr3
Teh signs of a failing hub assemble, bearings are.
Un even tire wear.
Drifting.
Pulls to one side.
Grinding noise in turns at first, eventually all the time.
Some or all of them may happen.
To check the bearings.
Jack the tire off the ground. Grab it in the 3-9 o'clock positions and rock it back and forth.
Do the same with the 12-6 o'clock positions, and rock it up and down. You will feel the tire move. Up and down movement is almost always the bearings. Have someone look at the tie rods ends, idler arms, and ball joints while you rock itto rule them out.

Most alignemnet shops will do free front end inspections. Also if the beaings are shot, it wont easliy align. The machine will keep blouncing around and a decent tech will know there is a problem.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM

but if its a bearing wouldnt it be more consistent.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: cliro
Sometimes at slow speeds usually coming out of a turn I hear this howling/ moaning sound when straightening the wheels.
"Grinding noise in turns at first, eventually all the time"

I'm going by what you've described. Mine doesn't do it all the time either, but it is definitely more prominent during turns. It is a whub-whub-whub sound for me. What it is it for you?

Another possibility might be low power steering fluid if it's only during turns. But that's more of a whining sound and is usually RPM dependent.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:07 AM

not like that, its more of a long moan, or creak.. 3 secondish..

doesnt happen going into a turn, more coming out of a turn, usually right. and its just before the wheels are straight. And only slow speed turns I notice it.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 AM

and power steering is fine.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I occaisionally get a high speed "whirrrrrrr" kinda noise from the powersteering, so you never know...

Kinda odd that it only does it right before the wheel straightens...

In the link to Hanr3's thread, it shows ya a way to help confirm it's a wheel bearing...

If you happen to have some way of recording the noise, it could help...

But from the way you describe it, it sounds kinda like powersteering issues...

How about when you've got the wheel cranked all the way? make anything close to the same noise?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 AM

nope.. def. not the power steering. That was one of the things the shop checked and it was all good. if it was a little more consistent i could record the sound,.. maybe i'll go to a parking lot and play with steering to try to get it to make the noise.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Gonna have to think on that one...

A moaning kind of creak that's not the PS... lol, have to see if it comes to me in a dream or something...

Quick Reply: howling noise