Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

I hate brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I hate brakes!

Okay so I replaced the back shoes on my blazer because they were pretty worn, but it didn't seem to make any difference in my braking abilities. I have had to replace the front pads like 4 times in the past year. I bled the system properly I inspected all the lines from the master cylinder and nothing appears wrong. It seems like the back brakes don't do anything and it takes an act of god to stop my blazer. Am I missing something on these trucks? On my grand cherokee I replaced the back shoes and it stopped like a champ. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Chris Threlkeld.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I hate brakes!

Did you adjust the brakes back out to where they actually grab? With drum brakes, there is an automatic adjuster that, if not functioning or not correctly adjusted when replacing the brake shoes may not provide braking power from those wheels out of adjustment or found with a non-functioning adjuster. I adjust them through trial and error by basically adjusting a little, then seeing if I can put the drum back on. I know I've gone too far when I cannot get the drum back over the shoes and adjust back to where the drum slides on with a bit of effort. Then test with the back end off the ground and wheels installed. Have someone push on the brakes while you try to turn the wheel. If the wheels still turn, then something is wrong that needs to be addressed.

When you replaced the brake shoes, did you shrink the aduster back in?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 PM

That little adjuster was the first thing I tightened back up after getting the whole assymbley back together. It is almost identical to the adjuster on my grand when I did those rear brakes. I spread the shoes out to the point where it was mildly difficult to put the drum back on, but not impossible to pull it back off and went from there. I put the wheels back on and with the beast still in the air I put it in drive and the brakes grabbed the moving wheels rather fast with little force on the pedal. I didn't have anyone to grab the wheels as I was doing this solo unfortunately. It still feels like the truck is VERY heavy when I try to stop. I do live in a very hilly and steep area but I still don't think it stops right.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a brake proportioning valve might not be working correctly,, how hard is the brake pedal to push? the veh has antilock brakes?? My friend rec had a brake light problem on his 1991 chevy full size van he had to disconnect the antilock brake switch adjust the rear brakes, bled them and hooked everything back up it worked fine after that.. hope this helps sumhow...

Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Are you using a good quality rivetted brake shoe or lower quality bonded brake shoes?
Did you make sure that the park brake cable was adjusted slack before you adjusted the star wheel adjuster for the brake shoes.

If you're going through 4 sets of front brake pads a year, what kind of pads are they? High quality pads and rotor do make a difference.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
88jimmah is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a kind of out of the blue idea, but does your truck idle high due to a vacuum leak or anything? That would be like hitting the gas and the brake at the same time causing it to be harder to stop. *shurg* Figured I would just throw that out there.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 PM

88Jimmah -- Good idea but no I don't have an issue like that. The truck itself runs great.

Chevy Lover -- My uncle purchased a real nice set of Raybestos (spelling) shoes which he gave to me when I bought the truck from him. I just finally got around to putting them on. I did relieve the tension on the brake cable for the parking brake. I did adjust the start wheel spacer deal and made it so I could slip the drum on with a tiny bit of force. My front pads and rotor are fairly inexpensive, however not the cheapest item on the menu ya know.

2002X -- The brake pedal is hard but not incredibly soft. It almost feels normal however I just don't get the braking power like I thougth I would ya know. I almost feel as if the pedal should be a little stiffer. And yes mine has 4 wheel ABS.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You should check to see if the fronts are grabbing good, as well...

They do the most of the braking work... That could explain the softer braking feel...

Stainless steel braided brake lines are supposed to help pedal feel as well...

Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

Yeah the front brakes grab fine. For all I know too well lol cause I keep burning through the front pads.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

What kind of mileage do you do in a year?

Quick Reply: I hate brakes!