Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Idler arm nut stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020 | 04:34 PM
|
Starting Member
Torbinator is on a distinguished road
Default Idler arm nut stuck

Im about to lose it trying to get the nut off the idler arm. How do you get it off? I turned it maybe 1/3rd of the way off then the threads started spinning with the nut. I tried clamping the idler and centerlink together but they wont budge at all. I dont have a torch to try and do that method. WD40 didnt help at all.

Old 06-24-2020 | 05:34 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

May have to take a cut off wheel or a dremel to the nut. Just try to stay away from the center link. No worries if you go too deep and hit the threads on the idler arm, assuming you're removing it to replace it.

You could try tightening the nut back down to seat the idler arm into the center link tightly and then putting a clamp on them, that might give them a little more bite with each another and keep it from rotating with the nut when trying to remove it.

Old 06-24-2020 | 06:46 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I would first try an impact wrench. Sometimes, blipping it repeatedly can get the nut to spin off. Otherwise, if there's room for a hacksaw or sawzall blade between the nut and the center link, I would just cut the stud off.

Old 06-24-2020 | 09:49 PM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
I would first try an impact wrench. Sometimes, blipping it repeatedly can get the nut to spin off. Otherwise, if there's room for a hacksaw or sawzall blade between the nut and the center link, I would just cut the stud off.
After 6 hours of trying to remove one bolt I think im just gonna go to o'reillys tomorrow and just replace the centerlink. I can disconnect the idler arm from the frame then just take everything off the centerlink and connect it to the new one. Just hope the pitman arm nut comes off... Otherwise I'll need to replace that too if that gets stuck lol
Need to just get this knocked out so I can do the fuel pump Friday instead of doing this all weekend. Did this as a side thing while I waited for the pump to come in since I thought I could knock it off then do fuel pump Thursday but then this happened... Agh!!

Last edited by Torbinator; 06-24-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2020 | 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Torbinator
After 6 hours of trying to remove one bolt I think im just gonna go to o'reillys tomorrow and just replace the centerlink. I can disconnect the idler arm from the frame then just take everything off the centerlink and connect it to the new one. Just hope the pitman arm nut comes off... Otherwise I'll need to replace that too if that gets stuck lol
Need to just get this knocked out so I can do the fuel pump Friday instead of doing this all weekend. Did this as a side thing while I waited for the pump to come in since I thought I could knock it off then do fuel pump Thursday but then this happened... Agh!!
Well, unlike the idler arm which is just a tapered fit, the pitman arm at least is a splined fit, so you shouldn't have near as much trouble with it Granted the nut that holds them on is STUPID tight and breaking it loose can be a chore, and definitely have a pitman arm puller tool on hand!

Old 06-24-2020 | 10:12 PM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Well, unlike the idler arm which is just a tapered fit, the pitman arm at least is a splined fit, so you shouldn't have near as much trouble with it Granted the nut that holds them on is STUPID tight and breaking it loose can be a chore, and definitely have a pitman arm puller tool on hand!
Well thats good. Thanks for the ideas y'all. Probably wouldve worked but currently just dont have thw patience/time for it. Will remember for future reference tho. Never underestimate any job on a blazer. Thought idler arm would take like 30minutes lol

Old 06-24-2020 | 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Torbinator
Well thats good. Thanks for the ideas y'all. Probably wouldve worked but currently just dont have thw patience/time for it. Will remember for future reference tho. Never underestimate any job on a blazer. Thought idler arm would take like 30minutes lol
Be glad you have a 2wd. On a 4x4 you have to completely pull the steering gearbox off the truck to remove the pitman arm.

Been there once already... good times...

Old 06-25-2020 | 08:26 AM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Be glad you have a 2wd. On a 4x4 you have to completely pull the steering gearbox off the truck to remove the pitman arm.

Been there once already... good times...

I saw that and thought it applied to 2wd as well... Well now that I know that I may as well just replace that as well! Makes me feel a lot better about the repair tbh. Maybe I'll be able to get fuel pump in today/tomorrow afterall. I still would like a 4x4. We have many dirt paths around here but the second I touch any bit of mud I start to lose traction. Maybe I may do a... I think its called limited slip diff? Pull a rear one off a zr2 with the g80 locker.

Old 06-25-2020 | 08:33 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

You shouldve taken the whole axle!

Old 06-25-2020 | 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

How much room is there to get to the Pitman arm. Snap-on makes a special Pitman arm puller for tight spots. It still might not fit, though.

Quick Reply: Idler arm nut stuck