Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Inner Axle RF Front Diff

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM
GrammySr is on a distinguished road
Default Inner Axle RF Front Diff

Long story short, bought a 97 blazer from a co-worker for 102$ because he didn't know how to read a fuel guage. I put gas in, drove it home, replaced PS pump and pully, used it to two an 87 S'10 1,100 miles. It has given me no serious trouble until I decided to replace the front Diff. It was literally exploded. I will get some pics posted when I have a chance. That 102$ is slowly working its cost up.

Since I've replaced the front box I wanted to just do the Cvs while I had it all apart (and shocks and ball joints and hubs and brakes, and lugs so on so fourth but none of those gave me any trouble) I had zero trouble with the left side, but the right side cv was leaking so I figured I would check it. It was sitting about a half inch out of the axle tube. I pryed it a bit, and gave it a few whallops with a 3lb sledge. That didn't get it to seat, went to pull the CV out and it was stuck to the Inner Axle, a slight pop with the 3lb sledge loosed it from the shaft once I had both out. The c clip that held the CV to the axle was pretty well warped, got a new one, now CV fits like its supposed to. Problem now is,
I can't get the axle back into the diff. Clip is still good, but there is a washer, and I cant get it to stay, tried a little dab of grease but there is just enough lube it just falls. How much more work am I looking at? Its already destroyed the driveway. I just want it done now.... I do wiring and interior usually, but my brother is my mechanic and he doesn't do trans/diff work... Please anything would be welcome.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM
GrammySr is on a distinguished road

Well if anyone else ever has this issue. Split the case where the axle tube meets, the 4x engagement mechanism will fight you, and one it pops it will spew diff fluid at you even after draining. The only "small part" should be the washer, it takes a hit of fighting but it all line back up and slides right in. Took about 45 minutes. Getting the tube off and back on the frame was the worst part. A small amount of rtv will save you the headache of small leaks. Enjoy