Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

inner tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
dc-3 is on a distinguished road
Default inner tie rods

inner tie rods replaced,2 year ago. i went to grease the front end, got all except the inner tie rods. i pulled out the fittings, pumped grease just fine. i put the fittings back and i can not get any grease into the tie rods. lots of back pressure felt fromhand grease gun, and the grease flowed around the fitting. how do i get grease into these parts. parts are from nappa

Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

push the greese fitting into the nipple harder, propably just stuck... or try tapping it a bit, but don't break it.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Default can not get grease into inner tie rods

thanks to 69chevelle, but no luck. i have put in new fittings, and have pushed the grease gun on the fitting as hard and straight as possible. i have even tapped the inner tie rods with the BFG, and no luck.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM

if you pull the greese fitting out, what's behind it? it's possible a bit of dirt got in their when it was greased last and it got hard. pull it out and see if you can use a pic and clean up behind the grease nipple a bit. only thing I can really think of other then a warn fitting on the grease gun.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:25 PM

no hard grease or dirt inside inner tie rod ends. i called napa, and they suggested to take it off the drag link and try to grease it that way. also to try and put some heat on it. i am under the impression that the china parts are not very good

i even changed the fittings on the tie rod ends and the coupler on the grease gun. still same. it wont grease up the tie rods. all the other grease points took grease just fine

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-13-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:44 PM

ya I will never buy cheap steering parts again, I guess it's ok for a grocery getter, but if you do ANY wheeling or rough roads they were really quick.

I am out of idea's for you then, sorry I couldn't be of assistance.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest heat as well. You aren't looking to melt any of the plastic boots, but just enough to get the grease moving again.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Default inner tie rods, no grease goin in

thanks to all who have responded. i had to take the inner tie rods off the drag link and remove the rubber boot. washed out all grease with carb. cleaner, then repacked inner tie rods with chassis grease. the old grease was pink in color and stiff. what a pain. no more ntb service.