Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

The installation of the Rough Country 2inch lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Location: Eternia in the winter and Metropolis in the summer.
burningsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The installation of the Rough Country 2inch lift kit

I'm having trtouble locating a T-bar puller but I'm starting the work today looks like the weather may cooperate this weekend. I'm taking some before pictures and will post later today. As of right now the blazer has the torsion bars cranked not quite 2inches and in the back I have a leaf from a CJ 7. I'm running 31 x 10.50 stock wheels. Rubs the swaybar at full turn. The shocks are for a bigger truck. This setup is super stiff, very little body roll. I have a locker in the rear diff, this is a Donut machine. This is a suprisingly off road capable ride.. Any how I'm wearing out suspension components i put in less than a year ago. And never had a good alignment after the first venture offroad. So I've got the rough country kit to take care of those issues. For anyone who don't know the kit includes tbar keys, rs9000 shocks, upper control arms with inproved ball joint angle, bushings for upper arms, upper ball joints, and rear shackles. On top of this I purchased a suspension component kit including sway bar links, tierod ends and sleeves, pitman and idler arm, upper / lower ball joints. I'm also putting poly bushings in the lower arms and the sway bar mounts. Pictures and up dates will be coming next.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

the rough country 2" lift wont extend the life of ur front end parts if anything it may wear them down quicker.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 PM

I just don't see how it'll hurt more than help. The ball joints will be in a more factory like setting. The tie rod angles will be different than stock but not much more than how I have it set right now, that by the way isn't that big an issue. Recently rough country did an up grade on control arms and improved the ball joint angles. Anyways I'll be finding out pretty soon how well they do.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:45 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

new keys are just a flat out waste of money, pm bandidolenny hes got the same kit you have and he has to crank down the new keys because he was goin through cv's like water. if you really want extra lift the smart way to go about it would be to keep ur stock tb's crank at about 1.5" then add shackles or a aal to the rear and put a 2" body lift on top of that, but its ur money and if you wanna find out the hard way go ahead.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 PM

heres his thread on the 2" suspension lift gremlins >>> https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/2%22-suspension-lift-gremlins-26616/

Old 05-15-2009, 03:11 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because one person hasn't had luck, doesn't mean that it is a common issue. There are a lot of guys that have the R.C. lift and love it. It is definatly going to help with the ball joints, and it should do well.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:17 PM

i agree just because one person has trouble it doesnt mean everyone will, the new keys are still a waste of money IMO u can get the same amount of lift by just cranking your stock tb's. also most of the ppl i know that have this kit have simmilar issuses to bandidolenny. this kit will also not help out his cv issue either.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I will say this... I have not had any problems with ball joints. CV shafts on the other hand!...s*@#!. I think the ideal thing to do would be to just install the RC upper control arms and crank up the torsion bars using the factory t-bar keys. The indexed keys have no advantage if you can't crank'em up. If you do crank'em you will have problems with the inner CV joints. I have my torsion bars adjusted as little (low) as possible and I finally seem to have gotten a handle on the CV shaft issue. Here again is a link to that other thread. Good luck!
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26616

Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the input, even with the way i have it lifted right now im going through CV's but only with the driver side. Last year I replaced both axles, all ball joints, tie rods, pit man and idler arm. All this is also being replaced. I'm taking the control arms off anyways to replace the bushings so the keys I'll put in since the bars will be disengaged anyways. Still can't find a t-bar puller tool. May not get before pics in today the card reader is loaned out right now. I'll do some more research to get my ducks all lined up.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 AM

I didn't get to taking it apart till yesterday. All went pretty smoothly, going to get some bushings for lower arms and should have this all wrapped up to day. torsion bars were not as big a problem as expected. I can't wait to see how this improves the overall ride,

Quick Reply: The installation of the Rough Country 2inch lift kit