Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Installing a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member
Hagies is on a distinguished road
Default Installing a 4x4

Hey guys, so...long story short...I purchased a "4wd" 1998 chevy blazer from a buy here pay here lot, THOUGHT it was 4x4 as it had all of the buttons and what not (sounds stupid now that I think back), well turns out they sold it to me without all of the 4x4 parts, everything missing except for the T case... But i got them to take off $1500 so technically I got the truck for $1500.

Now, i'm new to the whole 4x4 world, I have some what of a list of parts to get. I just dont know how exactly to install them or if I have all of the parts on my list.

My buddy told me I need:

-Front diff
-CV Joints
-the vacuum and hoses
-drive shaft

Seems too simple to be true, is that all I really need to pull? Plan on pulling from a you pull and pay lot.

Thanks for ANY help I can get haha

Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

If I were you, I'd search the forum and learn all the components of the 4wd system(s), then compare to what you already have. That way you can see what parts you need.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

I would question why it was removed in the first place...and if there is no CV axles what is keeping the hubs together? is it a 3button or 4 button unit?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by coolasice
I would question why it was removed in the first place...and if there is no CV axles what is keeping the hubs together? is it a 3button or 4 button unit?
It's a 3 button unit. The only 4x4 parts I have is the t case and the dash buttons an the TCCM. I checked all through these forums and I think I have an idea what I need, I'm just not too sure how to put everything together lol. I tried searching for a how-to install the parts online but I couldn't find anything.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

can you get a photo of the front suspension? my concern would be if it was indeed a 4x4 then why were the parts removed?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by coolasice
can you get a photo of the front suspension? my concern would be if it was indeed a 4x4 then why were the parts removed?
I am with him on this, something doesnt sound right here

Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swells87
I am with him on this, something doesnt sound right here
Tried uploading photos but it wouldn't let me for some reason. ANYWAYS....good news, my buddy who is very knowledgeable with the whole 4x4 world is going to be rebuilding it with me (paying him $50).

But he made a good point also, he said I could just get a good winch for about $300 and go that route with 2wd, but then again idk. I plan on lifting the truck and throwing on some bigger tires aswell.

I figure id be spending about $300 at the junk yard purchasing the 4x4 parts anyways.

What would you guys do?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hagies
Tried uploading photos but it wouldn't let me for some reason. ANYWAYS....good news, my buddy who is very knowledgeable with the whole 4x4 world is going to be rebuilding it with me (paying him $50).

But he made a good point also, he said I could just get a good winch for about $300 and go that route with 2wd, but then again idk. I plan on lifting the truck and throwing on some bigger tires aswell.

I figure id be spending about $300 at the junk yard purchasing the 4x4 parts anyways.

What would you guys do?

I would've taken it back and left it with them!!! Sounds like someone half assed it together after tearing it up

Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'd go with replacing the 4x4 parts. How much fun can you really have winching up all the tough areas?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

what about doing an SAS (solid axle swap) instead of going back to the IFS, will be a little more expensive but much better in the long run.

Quick Reply: Installing a 4x4