Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Intermittent Power Steering, 99 Bravada?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member
99_Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent Power Steering, 99 Bravada?

Anybody encountered intermittent power steering on these trucks? The reservoir is full, the fan belt does not squeal, no untoward noise from the pump that I can hear. Happens mainly when it's cold (below 30 or 40 F) but has happened several times at 60F, too. Doesn't happen real often, but a couple times a week is bad enough. The power steering does seem to leak but I dunno where; reservoir is below the dipstick about every two weeks and have to put just a bit in it to bring the level back to normal. These things are a handful to steer at low speeds when you're not expecting the power steering to go out... :O

BTW, I did a search for "intermittent power steering" but nothing pertinent came up.

Thanks,
SteveH

Old 02-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member

Anybody?? This is getting frustrating. Last night, I commuted home for 60 miles so it was good and warm and when I got off the highway, hey el presto: NO power steering at low speed, either direction. Stopped for gas and was pulling over to put more fluid in and hey el presto: power steering had returned and has been fine since. Didn't have to put fluid in. Erratic as heck. Nobody has encountered this before?? Bueller? Anyone?? BTW, there's 165K miles on it.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member

Power steering is STILL erratic. Haven't put fluid in it for 2 weeks. Sometimes when it's cold, it works, sometimes not. Then a few miles later, it'll do the opposite. When warm, same thing: it may or may not work. What's curious is when I shut off like to get a sub for dinner, it usually works again... for a few miles, then off again, then maybe on again. Talk about frustrating. I'm wondering if maybe a hose is deliminating and a piece internally blocks the fluid now and then?? I spose I'll try changing the hoses, but this won't happen for awhile since right now, I've got to replace the sick rear end. Am prepping a Yarde rear end and turns out it's physically in worst shape than mine even though it's supposedly from a 2000 with only 110K on it.