Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Beginning Member
BIGJEFF64 is on a distinguished road

i am interested in this write up as well i have having alot of play in the steering at it very well could be the rag joint. i would rather spend the money on this then replace it with a potential future issue

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
Jake--Blazer is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait!

I have been very busy with school, my kids, and any thing you can think of lol..

neo-- I do have the shaft your talking about it came off a 98+ cherokee not the grand I am going to upload a picture for you guys to see my shaft (lol )

LeWhite-- I can not say you are wrong, I just didn't see why taking the steering column out would be necessary.. but back on subject.. I didn't have time to travel to a junk yard and go treasure hunting, so I found one on ebay for $35 with shipping.. Not bad I must say when I consider I would have had to pay the difference in gas if not more to travel to the junk yard and buy one. Plus, it saves me time and is more convenient for me. Some of you it may just be easier to go to the junk yard and get one but for me that would have been about an hour to the junk yard and back.

So I just want all of you to know I may need up to a few weeks to do this build since it seems like the next couple of weekends seem a little busy. I do plan on doing this build as soon as I obtain some free time, thanks guys.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Patiently waiting.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
Jake--Blazer is on a distinguished road
Talking

Thanks guys for being patient while I finish this quarter of college to install the steering shaft. Only one more week left of school, then I will have time to work on my Blazer.

Attached Thumbnails Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft-2013-02-21103858_zpsd50c06ba.jpg   Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft-2013-02-21103821_zps7482a60b.jpg   Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft-2013-02-21103802_zps384d07ec.jpg   Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft-2013-02-21103737_zps455f416a.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM

OK jake! I got the shaft but its not as long as yours. Thats not abprob as Im a pretty good welder. Where I see a prob is at the top of the shaft at the column. The Blazer has a big double D and my shaft has a small D without enough matl to machine it larger. Seems I remember JTR say that a F150 shaft might work. What to do?

Last edited by LeWhite; 04-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I want to do this mod at some point............. priorities, must stick to priorities.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member
NateDG is on a distinguished road

What I don't understand here is how the new shaft will replace both the tulip joint and the rag joint. The rag joint; sure, but how will it replace the tulip joint when that's located in the cabin and the post the shaft mounts to is also on the cabin side of the firewall and very stubby? Aren't these tulip joints just as wack as the rag joint?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM

Guess Jake is having probs last week of school. But I can wait no longer. The last time at pic ur part I saw an Astro van shaft that was easy to get to and had U joints on both ends. But I dint know if it was telescope as it was only a foot long. Appeared to have the big double D at the column and the standard Saginaw splines on the bottom. With the tulip in the cabin its got to be easyer to get to then under the booster. Guess its gonns need about thirty inches. I need to collect all the pieces before hand as the accord cant carry to much.:-X

Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

this mod was easy peasy i did it on my jimmy and was the best steering mod i did as my stock rag joint was shot to ****. i found a jeep cherokee steering shaft at the scrap yard and slid it off the factory shaft leaving me the ujoint on a rod. i then used a donor jimmy steering shaft and cut the factory rag joint off the shaft and slid in the jeep shaft after shortening it alot for clearence. i then had my friend weld the jeep knuckle to the jimmy steering shaft and then slid it back onto my truck and installed onto the steering box. it took the slop right out make sure when u install the new u joint that its matched up correctly or ur steering wheel will be off angle alott

Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I found a thread on the s10 forum. Apparently, a number of car gear boxes bolt right up to the s10 and blaze. Have your steering a LOT tighter! Sports car tighter instead of sloppy joe loose.

This

These:
Late Model 12.7:1 quick-ratio gearbox
ID markings YA, WS and HX
Line Thread Size: M18x1.5 and M16x1.5
Number of Mounting Holes: 3, (missing leg H-pattern)
Input Shaft Diameter: ¾-inch
Output Shaft Diameter: 1 ¼-inch
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 2 ½ - 3
1984-'88 Monte Carlo/Malibu with Z65 suspension
1983-'88 Malibu, El Camino
1982-'92 Camaro except FE1 soft ride suspension
1984-'87 Regal with FE2 or FE3 sport suspension
1983-'84 Hurst/Olds
1985-'87 Cutlass with 5.0 (VIN code 9)
1982-'85 Trans Am
1986-'92 Firebird except FE1 suspension
1986-'87 Grand Prix with FE2 touring or F41 heavy duty suspension