Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

just found broken part in suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013 | 08:16 PM
|
Beginning Member
blitz951 is on a distinguished road
Default just found broken part in suspension

Was putting in new break pads when I found out this part was broken. I'm going to say it is the A arm. But idk. The part with the red bushings has snap off. I'll add pictures when I log in on my computer, currently I'm on my phone

Old 02-25-2013 | 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am guessing its the end links for the sway bar. can get them at any parts store, simple to install too.

Last edited by richphotos; 02-26-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2013 | 12:28 AM
|
Beginning Member

the first pic shows where the part snapped. The second pic just shows a better angle of exactly what part snapped. ANy help identifying the part or maybe even pointing me in the direction of where to buy the part would be appreciated. could it maybe be called the pitman arm? ive been looking for parts online that resemble it, but im still not sure

Attached Thumbnails just found broken part in suspension-suspensiom2.jpg   just found broken part in suspension-suspensiom1.jpg  

Last edited by blitz951; 02-26-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2013 | 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

that is the sway bar end link mounting location on the lower control arm. If you know someone who can weld, that would be your best bet, or get a new lower control arm.

Old 02-26-2013 | 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Yeah thats an easy but time consuming fix! I would replace the control arm myself. Just cause its probably going to cost about the same unless you know someone who can weld really well. Then while your at it you can replace that torn up boot on your cv shaft

Old 02-26-2013 | 10:26 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep. your gonna have fun removing your torsion bars to get the a arm off. i wouldnt do it unless you are aware of the pressure the torsions are on. Replace that cv joint too.

Old 02-26-2013 | 12:23 PM
|
Beginning Member

well thanx for all the help. I have a mechanic friend who can weld pretty darn good. I just wanted to know what i was talkin about before i called him out here. So the broken part is the lower control arm? ANd ya i plan on replacing it, along with the rest of the battered parts there.

Old 02-26-2013 | 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

tell him "the flange the front sway bar end links mount to on the bottom control arm broke off" he'll know exactly what you are talking about

Old 02-26-2013 | 02:51 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

I broke mine on both sides over the years. Just weld it up and put a small gusset to support it better. You don't need to pull the tab off the link, but make sure the vehicle is on a level surface when you weld it back on.

Old 02-26-2013 | 04:18 PM
|
Beginning Member

It seems it has been welded on before, and what broke was the welds. I was looking for replacement parts this morning, but when i see the lower control arms, i dont see this flange in the picture. Am i overlooking it in the pic? or is it a seperate part to be purchased alone??

Quick Reply: just found broken part in suspension