Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

leaf spring upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road
Default leaf spring upgrade

i have a 2000 gmc jimmy slt with the touring package but mines been lifted. my issue is the springs have sagged alott and my truck is not sitting level anymore. i wanna upgrade my rear leafs to something stronger with move of a arch to them as i offroad alot and need flex but also the strength as i haul a big boat in the summer is there any leaf springs from any full size gm vehicles that will be a direct bolt in?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Nope but lots of guys get an add-a-leaf kit and solve the sagging that way.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i used a set from a junk yard (z85 package blazer)and took the longest leaf from my old set and cut the eyelets off and made a bastard pack that now has 5 leafs...that gave me plenty of spring and arch.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i have read on certian blazers and jimmys and s10s that had a 5 leaf pack for a trailering option i have seen one set at the scrap yard but was wondering if anyone used springs from the full size pick ups or tahoes or suburbans

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
i used a set from a junk yard (z85 package blazer)and took the longest leaf from my old set and cut the eyelets off and made a bastard pack that now has 5 leafs...that gave me plenty of spring and arch.

same here, bastard pack from my broken old leafs...

Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

what is the length on the s10 springs eye to eye? what is the center spacing on the pin?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
Does it have to be a leaf set from a z85? I can't find this model, it's probably pretty rare, which will drive the price up at the junk yard if they even have it. What else could you put in there? How did you cut the eyelets off? Did you just cut them with an angle grinder, open up the big C clamp, add in your longest s10 leaf, and then reclose the big C clamp? I'm going between this, shackles, or both. I want lift, but I also want a better ride. My rear has a lot of bump steer in because it's so stiff. I think it's mainly because of old shocks. I think the rear shocks have allowed moisture inside them. The water is harder to compress than the compressed air.

So I'm going between doing:
Bastard leaf-spring set ---> shackles ---> new shocks
or
shackles ---> new shocks

Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Beginning Member
turple27 is on a distinguished road

all i did was get new leaf springs made up for my blazer and got them arched to where i wanted it to sit and my body leafs i got made one size thicker. i got this done at the local spring shop and it was well worth it my 4 door blazer sits as high in the rear as much a zr2 and i still get amazing handling on the road and in the woods and still flexs when you need it too

Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turple27
all i did was get new leaf springs made up for my blazer and got them arched to where i wanted it to sit and my body leafs i got made one size thicker. i got this done at the local spring shop and it was well worth it my 4 door blazer sits as high in the rear as much a zr2 and i still get amazing handling on the road and in the woods and still flexs when you need it too
yeah,
how much did all that cost though? Cost is a big concern to me. This is supposed to be my budget car and I'm doing everything as inexpensively as possible with this car. Let me know what the bill came to though.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
00chevblazer is on a distinguished road

i was quoted $125 a pop per replacement stock leafs when i was looking to get rid of sag. I then proceeded to ask how much per plate if you made them in house, and they were $45. Wouldn't give you much lift, if any at all but will take you back to level if you added 1 or 2 of them.

Quick Reply: leaf spring upgrade