Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Leaf Springs Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member
ChevyMane808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaf Springs Help!

Yesterday I put my truck up on the hoist to take a look at the back end because about a week ago I heard a big bang when going over a very %*#! pot hole. It happened to be that BOTH leaf springs in the rear end broke in the middle, as well as all the clamps had broken off. My wheel sits a bit crooked when on the hoist, but when lowered on the ground goes back to normal middle position.
I plan on buying new leaf springs, u bolts and clamps, but I don't know if this is safe to drive temporarily, what do you guys think?

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't drive it with broken leaf springs. They could come apart completely and cause a serious accident, possibly killing yourself or someone else.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

^agreed

Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

when i bought my jimmy the eyelit on the leaf was broken making it very unsafe if a spring is broken on the other leafs and not ur primary ur safe for a little but i wouldnt reccommend driving on it as it can shatter the main leaf causing hudge damage and a accident. visit a suspension shop and buy the leafs or get them to replace the broken one

Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member

I was told my a mechanic this morning that it's "okay" to drive, but it's not "fine" or anywhere in the good state condition it should be. Basically the mechanic told me that all that will happen is it will drop like a low rider, the ones that broke on BOTH rear end sides are just for the comfort of the ride for the vehicle. What do you guys think, is he full of ^*@% or what? I'm taking it to another shop later today or tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

well the thing is, if the ones that are broken decide to leave when you are jamming down the highway, yeah the car is going to lower itself. but the other thing thats going to happen, your u-bolts are going to be tight. think about it now. no tight u-bolts and missing parts. that rear axle could move and like stated above, cause a serious accident. you have control over your car any more. my strong advice: get the springs replaced. either new, or PnP. but i wouldnt by driving it like that.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Twip
well the thing is, if the ones that are broken decide to leave when you are jamming down the highway, yeah the car is going to lower itself. but the other thing thats going to happen, your u-bolts are going to be tight. think about it now. no tight u-bolts and missing parts. that rear axle could move and like stated above, cause a serious accident. you have control over your car any more. my strong advice: get the springs replaced. either new, or PnP. but i wouldnt by driving it like that.
True, sometimes I do feel the rear end giving out when I hit the brake and **** it feels like its almost shifting back and forth... Wow, I cannot believe how dangerous I've been driving lately, I didn't even know until I got it on the hoist and seen the damage for myself. I'll try get used ones!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member
Default Pictures!

Today was a nice day, one of the first warm days of spring here in Ontario so I got time to jacking up the truck on my driveway and spending about 6 hours cranking out old seized up U-Bolts, Shackles, and Clamps from my Leaf Springs. I took a couple pictures today as the job went along, I had a bit of help from a friend, here is some of the damage and work as we went along, this is not a tutorial by the way just showing how bad the damage was!

Leaf Springs Help!-sam_1226.jpg
Leaf Springs Help!-sam_1228.jpg
Leaf Springs Help!-sam_1234.jpg
Leaf Springs Help!-sam_1235.jpg
Leaf Springs Help!-sam_1238.jpg
Leaf Springs Help!-sam_1239.jpg
Leaf Springs Help!-sam_1240.jpg

Last edited by ChevyMane808; 04-14-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

do not drive on those springs holy crap

Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Put on some dang ol' jb weld, it'll be good as new!

I sprayed all my nuts and bolts down with PB Blaster every day for a week before changing my leafs, and it still took me hours beating on them with a 28V impact to get the u bolts off! Those things were STUBBORN! Glad to see you're getting them done!

Quick Reply: Leaf Springs Help!