Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020 | 07:45 AM
|
Beginning Member
Triker97 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
One more thing to think about changing: The CV joint boots for the front drive axles. I had the inner ends of the inner boots slip off due to the new larger angles for CV joints. The original boots are pretty stiff but I found that the new neoprene boots are much more flexible. (The ones from NAPA worked great.) If your CV axles are still fine, it is not too hard to put on the new boots. When doing all this front end work, you'll likely have them out anyway so you might as well do it. You don't want to find that the have slipped off and ruined your CV joints necessitating getting new axles. The new boots are much cheaper than new axles!
Ok so on response to all your other replies, 1) all that math went right over my head, I was able to understand a little of it but not clearly hahah, 2) what my plans are for the Blazer is to be able to go mudding and not have to worry a lot about hitting a pothole and something snapping, I wanna be able to hit more off-road trails and know that my vehicle will be able to make it with no problem, what do y'all suggest I do? How high should I go that would be safe so I won't be too top heavy?

Old 06-18-2020 | 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Triker97
Ok so on response to all your other replies, 1) all that math went right over my head, I was able to understand a little of it but not clearly hahah, 2) what my plans are for the Blazer is to be able to go mudding and not have to worry a lot about hitting a pothole and something snapping, I wanna be able to hit more off-road trails and know that my vehicle will be able to make it with no problem, what do y'all suggest I do? How high should I go that would be safe so I won't be too top heavy?
The best way to answer your question to have people reply who have done exactly what you want to do and tell us what worked and did not work. There is no substitute for experience!

But I'm going to guess that the RC 2.5" lift kit could be a good starting point. What I did might not be enough for you and you know the RC kit has been engineered as a whole system.

However, know that the real serious Blazer mudders and off-roaders on the forum will likely tell you that the only way to go is to do a larger lift (up to 6") and swap out the independent front suspension (IFS) and put in a solid axle suspension (SAS). From what I've seen here, many use Jeep Cherokee front axles for this. They also might recommend a body lift to give more clearance for the tires.

Old 06-18-2020 | 02:30 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
However, know that the real serious Blazer mudders and off-roaders on the forum will likely tell you that the only way to go is to do a larger lift (up to 6") and swap out the independent front suspension (IFS) and put in a solid axle suspension (SAS). From what I've seen here, many use Jeep Cherokee front axles for this. They also might recommend a body lift to give more clearance for the tires.
Yup, a solid axle is definitely the way to go if you don't mind doing some fabrication.

Old 06-18-2020 | 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
Yup, a solid axle is definitely the way to go if you don't mind doing some fabrication.

Good advice from Tom as always. Except for that he has this thing for wimpy tires. LOL

Old 06-18-2020 | 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

You got me there. 😂

Old 06-18-2020 | 09:18 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Bolt on experience tho, 2.5 with your own upgraded shock absorbers, for light off road and on road use.

A 6" Rc lift for more offroad and some on road use(not tried but going with next...)

but in all seriousness, a lift is a SAS is the way to go for all around satisfactory, you can go as little as around 3-4" to as high as you want as far as I've read so far....