Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM
emccarthy93 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy loose steering

i'm 18 years old. bought my first car yesterday, 2004 4x4 2door blazer 128k miles, and i love it. except the steering. when parked, i can turn the steering wheel about an inch or so without any resistance. when driving at high speeds (45mph+) its about the same thing, i just feel like i've gotta keep turning it back and forth the keep it straight. i tried following it down the shaft and if i grab the shaft i can push and pull it back and forth about a quarter inch. i have been real busy and haven't had much time to look at it yet. it drives straight as an arrow (unless i turn) but i'm getting just enough play in the steering here to make it annoying and uncomfortable. any thoughts? am i gonna need a new steering box? is there a quick fix?

thanks all

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did you check your shocks?
bad shocks will give you handling issues.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Here's the general rule:
Anywhere the 'goes-in-ta' moves and the 'comes-outa' doesnt, there's a problem.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

You also might want to check out your tie rods, idler and pitman arms. But basically what pettyfog said, he is always dead on.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM
emccarthy93 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice guys, i'll keep you updated as things get fixed

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yup what 50 & petty said & possibly the rag joint, but I doubt that. Personally I'd lift the front end, put it on stands & have a friend move the tires from side to side. See what moves 1st/before other componants. Look at the steering box (pitman arm) the other arm on the steering shaft (idler) & check out the tie rod ends that come off the main bar the pitman /idler are attached to (below the brakes).
What moves before the steering arm moves = the issue with sloppy steering. Unless it is actually the rag joint & that's along the steering column.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

When you do find what's loose don't skimp on the parts! Don't get autozone cheapos or you will be doing it again shortly!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Its probably going to be the idler arm , my blazer eats them like crazy , well it used to . I had a lifetime warranty on them but I bought 2 of them one from autozone and one from advance auto , and I had to switch them out once a month at least . But I beat the crap out of my blazer its in mud more than its on the road .

Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

WAIT! Before you buy anything, Try this if you feel the wrag joing is ok. I saw it on an earlier post and just did it to my 98. On the top of the steering box there is an adjustment nut. The bolt sticking out has an allen wrench head. Put the allen wrench in it and back off the nut 16 mm 3-4 turns. Tighten the allen screw untill you feel it getting snug, back it off a hair and tighten the nut. I had 4-5 inches inches of play in the steering wheel and its now like new!. Best part it was free! . FREE IS GOOD! Hope works for ya

Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Forgot to tell you, remove the filter box for access

Quick Reply: loose steering