Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member
Rond379 is on a distinguished road
Default Loose steering

Hey, I have had the biggest gap imaginable on my truck and I just did the tierods idler arm ball joints pitman arm and the sway at links(not that they will effect it) and I still have a little play in the wheel I haven't gotten it aligned yet idk if they will fix it but I don't think it will so what do u guys think...steering box?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member

Sway bar*
And it's a 2000 zr2 if it helps

Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Could be the steering box or rag joint.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Beginning Member
blazetheroad is on a distinguished road

It's funny that you write about this, because I have a 1999 blazer s10 base model and it has the same problem. I've gotten all the parts replaced, but it still has a TON of play in the actual steering wheel itself. I came on here looking for answer to that as well as others, but let's hope that soon we can BOTH get the answer.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Beginning Member

Well if u think about it there's pretty much nothing left other then the rag joint and a steering box. I probobly gonna get a steering box and throw it in since all of those parts I replaced were pretty shot I'm sure some damage was done to the box too when I get a chance ill do it and ill let u know

Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rond379
Well if u think about it there's pretty much nothing left other then the rag joint and a steering box. I probobly gonna get a steering box and throw it in since all of those parts I replaced were pretty shot I'm sure some damage was done to the box too when I get a chance ill do it and ill let u know
That'd be much appreciated! I've replaced EVERY part imaginable for the front end, and it's still loose. Give me some feedback when you get that chance to do so. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
John R Mcknight is on a distinguished road

you might try adjusting the adjusting screw on the steering box. I think it has a torque rating for it so that would be have to be looked up

Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member
mjink.11 is on a distinguished road

The steering box that GM put in those vehicles was proven to be defective. My dad has a 1997 Chevy Suburban, which used the same steering box. He replaced it but it went out a month later. I have been unable to find a suitable replacement. I have a 97 Chevy Blazer and the same problem.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by mjink.11
The steering box that GM put in those vehicles was proven to be defective. My dad has a 1997 Chevy Suburban, which used the same steering box. He replaced it but it went out a month later. I have been unable to find a suitable replacement. I have a 97 Chevy Blazer and the same problem.
Is that so? Because I STILL have loose steering and I just took the Blazer down to the shop to get everything looked at again. Said nothing was wrong, yet its still loose!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 AM
Starting Member
grambler is on a distinguished road

I have a 2001 Bravada with the same problem. Shop says everything is fine. Has anyone found a solution?

Quick Reply: Loose steering