Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

loud clicking/humming from front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Beginning Member
second97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default loud clicking/humming from front end

so im a little new to the whole blazer thing ive been driving 2.2s10s for the past 4 years. basically i decieded to pick up a 99 4x4 jimmy. any time im doing highway speeds for an extended period of time there is a loud clicking/humming from the front end. sort of sounds like i ran over a gxsr and its caught under the front end. i didnt know what it was so the third time it happened i was on the highway and thought it would be a good idea to throw it in neutral and rev it. i guess i hit the rev limiter too hard because it spun a bearing. so now im rebuilding the engine and am trying to figure out the front end noise at the same time. i dont know if it is something with the hubs? are they vacuum actuated? the truck has roughly 120,xxx miles any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
Default RE: loud clicking/humming from front end

what? no one has any input

Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had this same problem. Does the noise go away when yuou slow back down to around 25 MPH? Mine does, I still haven't been able to figure it out.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

could be a ball bering mine would only do it avbove like 20 when i turned slightly

Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Beginning Member

its actually a little weird it will stop below like 35. and if i go back up any higher that that it starts up again. and it hasnt caused any problems like that yet?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
klausjohn1142 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had the same problem happen once. Is your 4whdr acctivated by switch or on the floor? If on the the floor or when the sound happens do you have any flashing lights on your 4w switch or on the floor indicator?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

its the push button, and the 2wd light will sometimes just turn off for about a minute then turn back on but that doesnt always happen while im having the problem

Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had the same problem, I have a 97 4WD S10 Blazer. Turned out to be the Wheel Bering. I had replaced the wheel hub and bering (came with that), and it seemed to fix the problem. I also have to replace the the ball joints as well. So I'd really give your Blazer a good inspection to make sure you don't have to tear it apart several times to fix a problem.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Beginning Member

i had my mechanic who is also a good friend of mine take a look at it and he ended up replacing the hub bearing because it was pretty bad but it still hasnt fixed the problem. any more ideas im about ready to put a brick on the gas pedal and send it off of a cliff.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member

oh just in case anyone tells me to use the search button there are multiple people who have had this problem and the question was never solidly answered

Quick Reply: loud clicking/humming from front end