Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Lower control arm repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:16 PM
95blazerfrank is on a distinguished road
Default Lower control arm repair

I'm new to any kind of suspension repair, and I have a question, for any one to answer. I have to repair the lower control arm on the passenger side of my blazer. Do I need to list both sides of the vehicle to do any of the work on it do I need to listen both sides vehicle youtube any of the work on it

Old 08-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Lower control arm work is dangerous. It needs to be done using the correct procedures and tools. Is the vehicle 2WD or 4WD? What exactly do you need to repair/replace?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Default The damage

The lower control arm and the hub housing/steering knuckle. The lower back joint broke the knuckle, at the same time breaking the control arm. It's 4wd

Attached Thumbnails Lower control arm repair-kimg0042.jpg   Lower control arm repair-kimg0041.jpg   Lower control arm repair-kimg0040.jpg  
Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The knuckle and lower ball joint replacement is straight forward, however, tension on the torsion bar MUST be completely unloaded before removing the lower control arm. This tool will safely hold the torsion bar in place while you loosen the adjuster bolt: OTC GM Torsion Bar Unloading Tool OTC7822A: Advance Auto Parts The tool is available on their loan-a-tool program. After the parts are installed, front chassis ride height must be adjusted, and a wheel alignment is necessary.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:28 AM

Thank you for your insight and help with this. I will follow your directions and try to do this. I'll keep you informed and updated. Again, thank you

Old 08-19-2015, 11:39 AM

You're welcome. Due to the danger involved with this operation, it might be in your best interest to obtain a genuine GM shop manual, (not aftermarket) possibly through your public library system.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:53 PM

The Haynes or Chilton Manuals are considered after market? I will try that..

Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 PM

Those are both aftermarket publications, save your money, (pretty much worthless).

Old 08-20-2015, 12:43 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Haynes and Chiltons manuals are somewhat useful for cleaning up small oil spills from SMOOTH concrete.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:12 PM

That's funny, my German Shepard decided that he was gonna shred my chilton manual, as i was working under my truck, because I would not pay fetch with him.... I swear he has K-9 ADHD... lol....

Quick Reply: Lower control arm repair